New WR450 is a DOG - Help please!

Guys, on the gray wire mod. I want to make sure of two things in regards of the 06 WR450.

It's the same as the prior years and can you guys tell me exactly how you can pull the wire out of the harness without SNAFUing the thing up in case we want to put it back to stock?

I just pulled the grey wire on my 06 WR450 last night. I found it pretty easy... Use a flat head screw driver and gently pull the harness out. From there I used a very small flat head screw driver and pushed the grey wire out from the bottom of the harness. It popped right out intact. Throw some electrical tape on there and button it up. You should be all set!

S

You guys are soooooo freakin good its scary. :applause::ride:

I've run (2) WR450's, both modified, & a HIGHLY modified 400 Yamaha... The 400 was comparable at least, but the 450's both ran like my daughters scooter. Sorry guys, anytime you want to race I'D LOVE IT!!! LETS GO BABY!

'05 Honda 450X

Good one newbie. Go back to the Red forums, or are you still trying to convince yourself you didnt make a huge mistake buying Red. I have yet to ride a 450X, mostly because I dont know anyone who actually owns one. Anyway, thanks for your opinion :ride::lol::p Dont get all stirred up, just giving you a hard time. And I bet you could kick my ass in a race, but you could do that on a PW50 I am sure. :p:applause:

I've run (2) WR450's, both modified, & a HIGHLY modified 400 Yamaha... The 400 was comparable at least, but the 450's both ran like my daughters scooter. Sorry guys, anytime you want to race I'D LOVE IT!!! LETS GO BABY!

Marcus? Is that you? Trying some new material, eh? I guess you ran out of banshees to race. Oh well, you're always welcome here whenever we need a nice, healthy belly laugh...Troll!!!!...SC :applause::lol::ride::p:p

Thats it!! I'm tradin mine in and gettin a 450X. :applause:

Your local yamaha dealer of course.

Your dealer sucks

all ours go out with everything done but the grey wire

my 03 SM set-up will pull with a crf450/ktm 525 all day

when shopping try to talk to someone with some basic knowledge of the bikes, not just the best price-you save some headaches in the future :applause:

The AIS kit on the Yammie site specified for 05-06 WR, anyone know if it will work on the 03?

Thanks!

Jim

The AIS kit will not work on any bikes other than an 05 and up. They never made an AIS kit for the 03/04 bikes and there is no way you can get rid of it. Why? Because the AIS is only on the 05 and 06. It's a smog pump so Yamaha could get the bikes green stickered in California. You don't got it, so you don't need it...SC

aah. thanks for the info. i've already done the grey wire mod, and i'll order the yz throttle stop. should i also order the jetting shown in the AIS kit on the Yammie site, or leave well enough alone with the stock jetting?

thanks again

jim

I know this is beat to death in other threads.... but I can't help myself. My '06 WR450 is now three weeks old. I rode it bone stock for almost 20 trail miles.

Cut the grey wire, bashed the snorkel out of the air box, cut the holes in the right side of box, JD Blue Needle and 170 Main, MSR Fuel Screw, pulled the complete inner snout out of the silencer and put the screen and end cone back on.

Compared to stock is like comparing Martha Stewart to Jena Jamison. She a real exciting ride now. :ride:

It feels restricted on the top end compared to some others I have ridden. I'm thinking it is restricted in the silencer. I will probably end up with either a Q2 or E2. (note: write letter to Santa).

Until then... more backyard mechanics... Last night I reached in with a long drill bit and added a few extra outlet holes inside. Still not too loud with the spark arrester screen in and cone on.

Later. Dave :applause:

Forgot one: I removed the AIS by tapping the outlet at the exhaust port with an 1/8" pipe tap. Put a shoulderless pipe plug in with a little red loctite. Add a vacuum cap to intake side. Cheap fix.

I bought a 06 wr450. I alredy did the throtle stop mod, the baffle one, and yesterday I try the grey wire mod.

The motor pulls great but on high revs is start to sound horrible.Like if the inyection cut comes to cut the bike.

Why this happens?

I will appreciate anu comment.

I bought a 06 wr450. I alredy did the throtle stop mod, the baffle one, and yesterday I try the grey wire mod.

The motor pulls great but on high revs is start to sound horrible.Like if the inyection cut comes to cut the bike.

Why this happens?

I will appreciate anu comment.

You might need to rejet for your modifications. Maybe a different main jet. Read through this thread to find similar problems.

You might need to rejet for your modifications. Maybe a different main jet. Read through this thread to find similar problems.

could be the rev limiter, when i let people that were used to 2 smokes ride my wr they would always hit the limiter and make me cringe. they'd come back wondering why i was jumping up and down waving my arms,then they'd talk about how it needed adjustment because it was cutting out :applause:

i have done all the mods on my 05wr450 and it is night and day from when i first got it three mounths ago. the mods are a must.

http://www.thumperfaq.com

It's geared toward the 250F, but is 99% common with the 450, just substitute the 450 part numbers.