Flywheel removal

This just kills me! Got flywheel weights waiting to be installed(12 oz. Terrycable) and already purchased a WR flywheel puller and waddyaknow.......need to have a rotor holding tool to break the nut free on the flywheel! Has anyone got a cheat to remove that nut without buying a specialty tool and

NOT damaging the flywheel ? Really wanted to try the weights out this weekend and see if they do what everyone claims they do. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Just get a couple of grade 8, 6mm bolts installed in two of the three 120 degree tapped holes and use a long wrench wedged between them to keep it from rotating. I was able to use this method in a pinch with good success.

Originally posted by Rick Graham:

Just get a couple of grade 8, 6mm bolts installed in two of the three 120 degree tapped holes and use a long wrench wedged between them to keep it from rotating. I was able to use this method in a pinch with good success.

Thanks a bunch.....thought about that but was wary of damaging threads on flywheel. New weight uses those for install...gonna try it anyways. Thanks again.

Rob in Wa.

a strap wrench. this little toy can come in real handy for other jobs as well.

------------------

'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

An impact wrench works perfectly.

I'll 2nd Kevin's strap wrench recommendation. Impact wrench is good for removal but not very precise for installation. The last thing you want to do is booger up crankshaft threads. The strap wrench is a reasonably cheap tool and you'll need the ability to hold the flywheel in place to apply the spec torque to the nut.

My automotive large-size oil filter wrench fit perfectly...