HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yamahondaha

Who knows what won't fit a 99 WR400F Engine

9 posts in this topic

I wanted to put a 426 motor in my 99 WR400.

The rod end bearing at the crank pin failed and I hear the 426 is the most reliable of the WR's.

My 400 is California plated so I really want to keep it but I don't want to rebuild it only to have it fail again...

Do you know if I can bolt the 426 motor into my 400 frame?

I don't know if the outside dimensions of the motors are the same or not, I heard that the 450 motor requires a few adaptations to make it work and maybe the electric start would make that worth my time and effort.

I would like to hear from those who know what will interchange with the 400 and what won't. :applause:

i think a 426 is a bolt in mod for the 400. but im not 100% sure...

I would think so by the look of the two but I am not sure if the 426 top end is longer or wider than the 400. If it is longer it might need a 426 motor mount...

:applause:

im pretty sure that the outside measurements are all the exact same, its just internal parts that are different.

im pretty sure that the outside measurements are all the exact same, its just internal parts that are different.

I just don't want to buy a 426 motor and find out I have to "rig" it to work.

:applause:

I'm pretty sure the motor is the same externally but you might want to post in the Supermoto forum. I'm sure one of those guys has done the swap.

I found out that the 426 motor will bolt into a 400 frame and you can also swap out the crank, piston and cylinder and have a 426 displacement

I found out that the 426 motor will bolt into a 400 frame and you can also swap out the crank, piston and cylinder and have a 426 displacement

this is what I did..... I kept my 400 motor but replaced the crank, cylinder, piston from the 426. I also had to replace the head ...which I did ...with a 400 head.

unless you've totally stuffed the bottom end there is no need to get another motor, just do what rockieman did and convert to 426.

here is a site you can compare part numbers to ensure that it's all the same

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/star/myyamaha/prompt/L3N0YXIvcGFydHMvaG9tZS5hc3B4/Parts%20Catalog/starthere.aspx

and here is a site where you can get genuine yamaha parts at around half the price your local yamaha thief, i mean dealer can supply them to you.

http://www.jp-parts.com/index.html

i'm in the process of doing the same so if you finish first let me know the hard bits.

good luck