HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mark63

yz450(03) cam/wr426, will not start?

5 posts in this topic

I just fitted an OEM yz 450 exhaust cam and JamesNow mod. It took a few kicks and ran for a minute then stopped. Many minutes of kicking with choke on and off also a bit of throttle (seemed like not enough fuel). It started then back fired frightfully and stopped. No further kicking. Pulled it apart and rechecked timing again, as per all info I have. No noises during hand turning and clearances as Yami book (0.23mm). Prior to cam I turned the air scew out to 1 3/4 and bike starts great.It has a staintune pipe and 2500kms. Is the a jetting or starting issue or have I done something wrong.

Cheers

Did you set the exhaust cam in one tooth off from lined up. I know when I did mine the directions said to rotate it one tooth forward from the existing timing.

Where did you get your info from about the one tooth forward. I would like to compare notes. Do you have a thread I could read. Thanks

Thanks, it was the same info I used.

I double checked everything, all ok. Did some basics, guess what 1 hour old iridium plug had failed. Stuck in the old CR8 and bang 2nd kick, awesome :applause: .

Never forget to go back to basics :p , but incredible it failed during the first 30 seconds of new cam operation. You can not imagine what has been going thru my mind- bent valves, dented piston. :ride: