YZ 400 Stator question

I've got a question about a stator from the 99 yz400 model stator. I recently purchased a 98 400 and absolutly love it! The problem is I no longer have anywhere to ride often and would like to guy a conversion kit so I could also ride it on the road. I have acess to a 99 stator but am not sure how to go about putting it on my 98. Is this even possible? Would i be able to use the stator cover from the 99 model, or is this just an impossible task? Thanks for any advise!

Im assuming you are talking about a WR stator.. You need that and the flywheel to put a light on the bike.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx

The 99 and 98 part numbers are the same. You dont need to buy anything more than the flywheel and the stator. No cover. You will need a flywheel puller for the one thats on it. Dump the oil before you start, so grab some oil and a filter while youre at the dealer. I had good luck with the Moose harness out of Dennis Kirk.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=116&productId=p211025&leafCatId=11602&mmyId=

Its cheap enough and easy to route. The one I bought had brake switch plug ins if thats important to you. After that, its just a matter of buying a headlight and tailight. I went with the WR headlight from the dealer, and the tailight from UFO out of Dennis Kirk. Good luck, it should only take a couple hours.

Yes what he said you want a WR 426 stator and flywheel. The 426 puts out 130 watts where the wr400 only had 75 watts.

You will have to do a slight mod to the stator. Float the ground I think, to make it compatable with the yz cdi.

Contact www.electrexusa.com that is where I got my wr stator/flywheel setup for my yz400. They know there stuff.

Electrex has a pdf on there site on how to float the ground on the stator also.

I floated the ground when I put the DS kit on the bike, but for the trailsport kit, I had to change it. I would contact electrex as to exactly what to do, they make the harness for Moose, so you will have no problems getting good info from them. I had to contact them when I changed to the trailsport set up. I think I basically undid what I had done to modify the stator in the first place. BTW, If you want to go with signals and horn, I have a like new Dakar DS kit that wasnt on the bike long at all -cheap! PM me if interested.