'98 WR400 Any good?

Hey guys, i'm looking at a '98 wr400 and was wondering if these bikes are any good as far as power and reliability. The new 450's are out of my price range and this '98 seems like a good deal.

Also would this bike be able to be plated and street legal here in BC?

Bought one new in 98 and sold it when I got an 05, never had any serious problems, one leaky water pump shaft seal and that was easy to fix. Keep the fork seals clean, if they leak, a good cleaning will usually make them stop.

I have a 99 WR400 and I believe the motor is the same. I understand that the 400's have Stainless Steel Valves where they went to titanium on the WR 426's. I understand that the Stainless Valves last longer and are more bulletproof. Everything I have read has been good. It looks like Yamaha made this 400 motor right from the beginning. No first year model problems to be concerned about that I know of. This sight is the place to ask though. If there is something, you will hear about it. Performing all the free mods makes a huge difference in performance. I bought my 99 in June for $2500 and it was like new. Side plates didn't even have the paint worn off. Hope this helps, I get a big grin after every ride.

Hey guys, i'm looking at a '98 wr400 and was wondering if these bikes are any good as far as power and reliability. The new 450's are out of my price range and this '98 seems like a good deal.

Thanks

My 98 had awsome power and was very reliable until a valve let go this fall :applause::ride: . Rode my old CR250 and don't want to do that again, I will be fixing the WR400 as it is great.

I plated mine in the summer of 2004 with no problems at all. I thought I may have a problem as the bike was originally from Alberta. The only reason the insurance place wanted to look at it was to ensure the VIN numbers matched the paper work. They did not even check lights, horn, etc. You may want to ask some questions though as mine was registered in Alta before. I don't be;ieve it was ever insured, I think they register them all over there.

Where in BC are you and what are you getting it for?

It will bring many smiles to your face. ??

Where in BC are you? I live about 2hrs south of the border, I have 99' for sale. It was originally a Canadian bike. The bike (any WR400) is a super bike! I love my 99' and have been holding on to it for 2 yrs since I bought my 450 only because I hate to see it go...........

PM me if you are at all interested in looking at it. :ride: