Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dunecj2a

What would you guys do?

11 posts in this topic

I ordered an OEM top end kit last month but it was on back order. I waited like 3 weeks and it still didn't come in. I didn't feel like waiting anymore so I got a Wiseco top end kit from another shop. I cancelled the the OEM kit and told them to forget it since its takin so long. Anyways the OEM never cancelled and both showed up the same day last week. I have always hated and had bad luck with wiseco on my 2 strokes. Alot of people have told me that Wiseco's have worked well for them on there 4 strokes. I have also posted awhile back on the same topic and its seems that Wiseco's are OK for the thumpers.

I would still need to get rings for the OEM kit, I don't know why they didn't come with them :applause: Anyways which kit should I send back, OEM will be like $25 more after I but the rings :ride:

I went with the Wiesco this past spring in my 99 YZ400f. Seems to be fine. I ride every weekend 20-60 miles, so it has enough miles on it to look reliable. On the otherhand, the OEM had 6 years on it, and ring gap and compression were still good. Had to replace a stretched cam chain, so did the piston rings and pin while I was in there.

OK, thanx fella's :applause: Yeah I've heard nothin but good stuff about Wiseco for thumpers. The wiseco is a little lighter, and actually looks to be made a little more precise :ride: I'll put it in tonight.

Should I replace my cam chain while I'm in there? 18 months of use. Any way to tell if that thing is worn out or stretched?

Dune,

How many hours on the bike in the 18 months of use? Check the manual for cam chain tolerances. I believe someone here dod a thread on cam chain replacement intervals a while back. Try a search with "YZxxx Cam chain replacement" as the search topic. Some of these guys here will know. I am never disapointed in getting help here.

Bill

Dune,

How many hours on the bike in the 18 months of use? Check the manual for cam chain tolerances. I believe someone here dod a thread on cam chain replacement intervals a while back. Try a search with "YZxxx Cam chain replacement" as the search topic. Some of these guys here will know. I am never disapointed in getting help here.

Bill

Hey Bill

I've got probably 100 hours on it. All MX and dune riding. The Dune's are hard on a motor and I usually go to Glamis every other w/end once halloween hits. Thats pretty much why I wanted to do the top end. I could afford it now also.

The chain is $17. Replace it. You should think about changing your valve springs ($40), too, as long as it's opened up.

The chain is $17. Replace it. You should think about changing your valve springs ($40), too, as long as it's opened up.

Do I need a valve spring compressor to do that? The valves haven't budged at all since I bought. It has been in specs everytime.

Yes, a compressor of some kind is needed. You can "jerry" something together with a 'C' clamp and use a chunk of PVC for a spring adaptor, or just find the local machine shop your dealer uses to do their valve jobs and have them do it. Valve springs are not necessary, per se, but like the chain, they're cheap insurance against a really big problem.

A word of caution to those doing this themselves: DO NOT pull the valves down in the seals far enough for the retaining grooves in the stem to drop into th seal unless you plan on replacing the seal. There is a risk of damaging the seal with the edges of the keeper grooves unless the stem is covered by a seal protector.