06YZ450 or 06 XC450 for the desert

This a good topic for me because I'm considering both bikes for 06. My 04 yz450

is all set up for desert, and I run 15-48 or 15-47 gearing, and it rocks in desert.

I personally think the 06 yami going to be hard to beat. I like the looks of the KTM but not sure about the suspension, I don't think it can compare with yam.

One thing is for sure, you got to love Yamaha durability.

Some factors of consideration for KTM:

Green sticker, faster than exc-mxc, e-start (with weight penalty), 18'' rear whl,

6 speed,

Yamaha:

New frame, better legs, dependable motor, easy to get parts, very stable, 20lbs lighter, better on tracts.

Tank, flywheel weight, desert worthy rims, bash protection, suspension revalve, hand guards & chain/sprockets. The KTM seems more desert ready than the YZ without question. I guess the YZ is good for an occasional desert scramble, but in my opinion its gonna take a lot of $$ to make it truly excel.

How do you figure the XC has ANY of the equipment you are talking about? It will require any and all mods that would have to be done to the YZF. However, the XC is $8k OTD... so, even if I put $1k in the YZF, I'd be cheaper. So, money is not the driving factor. I am more interested in opinions form people who have actually ridden either or both.

Jimbo

Tank, flywheel weight, desert worthy rims, bash protection, suspension revalve, hand guards & chain/sprockets. The KTM seems more desert ready than the YZ without question. I guess the YZ is good for an occasional desert scramble, but in my opinion its gonna take a lot of $$ to make it truly excel.
Tank $170, Bash Protection, say $150, Chain $85, front sprocket $25, and there's no proof it needs more flywheel yet, but let's throw it on for $100. A re-valve may improve it, but it doesn't "need" it. Hand Guards are your problem; I don't use them. It has Excels already. I see $530.

The XC certainly needs suspension work, and costs a grand more in the first place. The only edge is in the 6 speed. And that, vs. a 5 speed, isn't that big.

The difference in MSRP is $350 or $550 depending on the color of the YZ, not $1000. And the KTM has an E-start, that for me is worth every penny (and pound) it adds. Plus, my KTM is Cali green sticker legal. As for suspension, have you ridden an 06 KTM? For dez, mine was very good right out of the box. Is it as good as a new YZ? Probably not. But everyone who has ridden my bike has commented on how good the suspension works.

I agree with the sloow dude... I have ridden his bike in its stock configuration. I felt WAY more comfortable and WAY faster on it than I ever did on my 03 WR450. There is no doubt, the XC is one SWEET machine (and I do love the e-start). However, I just can't get over all of the reviews I am reading about the 06 YZF. I think I read one tester say it was "a thousand times better" than the 05. That's pretty strong endorsement.

Has anyone gotten one yet that can make comments?

Well, the XC is a 6 speed. But that is its only real advantage over the YZ.

Am I the only one who thinks the jury is still out on the linkless rear suspension? I admit I haven't ridden anything newer than an '04, but I do not like the PDS (PSD? Whatever) in chop or braking bumps compared to most YZ/CR/KX linkage bikes I've owned.

E-Start is good, but the XC is going to be 10 or 12 lbs heavier than the YZF. At least. Just my opinion, but I can do w/out the e-start, especially if I get the 12 lbs back.

I'd be happy to own a KTM, I love the motor, don't mind the handling, and I really like the fact that they target off-road w/ this model; the thing that keeps me from buying orange is the rear suspension.

Just my two cents.

Purely and simply..the YZ is lighter.

In a 100 mile desert ride through sand whoops and washes.....the lighter bike will be your friend.

The YZ450 will make an awesome desert machine. The KTM is awesome too. I prefer Yamaha handling over KTM. Just never fell in love with KTM handling, although its not bad, just different.

The XC comes with an 18" rear wheel. I always ditch the 19 and lace up an 18 for the YZ's. Thats about the only real advantage the XC has. A 19 with a 4mm tube can work ok in the desert if your pinching pennies.

My YZ250 2T works well in the desert. I dream of the 450 :applause:

Well... the advertised weight for the YZ is 220lb. The KTM - 247.

I don't think the linkless suspension is that big of a deal. I rode the XC and it was like meeting an old friend. I was instantly comfortable (and impressed). I have also ridden a 525EXC and it is something I would have to get used to... it felt really awkward at first. So, I wouldn't stereotype by saying something like "KTM handling". It's not the same on all KTM's.

I'm still waiting for one of you cool TT guys to say, "I have a new 06YZ450... why don't you come ride it one time!"

BTW... I saw the 06 YZ250F yesterday (a yeller one!) Very sweet! The first thng that stood out was that the carb was actually accessible unlike on the CRF... very cool.

Jimbo

Killer, the XC tank is 2.4 gal. Still small for the dez, but I can do 50+ miles.

Hick, the PDS is different for sure. It really seemed to agree with Jimbo, though. He got on my bike and flat took off! With my current setup (stock valving with a stiffer progressive spring) its good, but its getting more work for sure. IMO it has two problems. The travel is too long, easily fixed with a $35 spacer. And it bottoms, although not in a scary way. The bottoming fix will probably be in the form of valving and a new needle, aprox $260. The shock is good enough that I'll ride it stock until its due for an oil change without any problem, and I'm pretty picky about suspension.

I actually weighed my XC and my 02 YZ250 2t and found that Yamaha lies about the weight, while KTM is pretty honest. XC is 246, YZ 250 2t is 227, both bikes ready to ride with completely empty gas tanks, same scale, same day. 19 lbs difference from a 250 2t to a 450 4t with E-start. Worth every ounce to me.

I actually hope you get the YZ, Jimbo. I'm really happy with my XC, but I probably wont get to try a new YZ unless you buy one, so GO BLUE!!!

I actually hope you get the YZ, Jimbo. I'm really happy with my XC, but I probably wont get to try a new YZ unless you buy one, so GO BLUE!!!

Dude... you are shameless!!!

Both bikes are VERY tempting.... I think to a pro rider, the YZ would win hands down. However, I am NOT a pro rider. And the e-start & green sticker are very attractive. Maybe I should just get the XC so I can let you experiment with mods and your bike and I can learn from your mistakes!! I guess I am a bit shameless as well....

Jimbo