hand falling asleep

Hey guys, my yzf 450 is an awesome bike and so much fun to ride but I can only ride for about 20 hard minutes before my right hand goes to sleep. I've got a stock triple clamp and renthal fat bars. Do I need to get a new triple clamp with the rubber inserts, new bars?..... I had a crf with stock bars before this, and never had a problem. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gee funny that. I have just experienced this on my last ride which qas a monster of a ride in very harsh Australian terrain. 200 k's in one day. Half way through it got to the point I could not feel my right hand. Totally numb. I kept pushing myself hoping that it would go away but didnt have much luck.

2 weeks later 2 fingers and my thumb are still numb. Very strange? I didnt have a fall or anything. Maybe I have pinched a nerve? It seems to be slowly getting better, but I notice each morning when I wake up the hand is numb until I start moving around. Strange.....

Gee funny that. I have just experienced this on my last ride which qas a monster of a ride in very harsh Australian terrain. 200 k's in one day. Half way through it got to the point I could not feel my right hand. Totally numb. I kept pushing myself hoping that it would go away but didnt have much luck.

2 weeks later 2 fingers and my thumb are still numb. Very strange? I didnt have a fall or anything. Maybe I have pinched a nerve? It seems to be slowly getting better, but I notice each morning when I wake up the hand is numb until I start moving around. Strange.....

It is what it is. Carpal tunnel. Google it, you'll see what I mean.

I have raced a lot this year and riden Baja a few times. 700 miles over 3 days will numb your hand. I run rubber mounted bars (Scotts/Pro-taper). I also use Mountain bike gloves by Specialty that have nerve protection built in. They are unbelieveable. And last I run brass dampeners in the bar ends. I think they are Fastco.

Thanks guys. I am an engineer so yes, I have a desk job most of the time. I'm gonna do some more research but I'm also gonna get some rubber mounted bars and some inserts for the bar ends. We'll see if this helps. Thanks again for posting!

Try using weight lifting gloves, or anything with a lot of padding in the Palm area, specially around the thumb and index finger. I had this problem riding my mountain bike for long periods of time on the road. The hard grips would pinch a nerve in my and it would go numb. I used weight lifting gloves with the heavy padding and the problem went away. Weight lifting gloves are cheap, so it might be worth it to try it.

I recently had the same thing happen to me for the first time, after about 20 min of riding they start to feel numb. I recently switched my bars out, the old ones I had filled with expanding insulation foam the new ones have no foam. The grips are coming off tonight and new bars are getting filled! Just might me the constant vibration causing the numbness :applause: