Are all battery eliminators (capacitors) the same?

Are all battery eliminators created equal? Most that I have seen (Accel, White Bro's,etc) look to be just a big capacitor, all for about the same price.

I found only one that seems diffrent, you might have seen this one? It's rectangular in stead of the normal round shape and cost much more ($50). It also seems to be built stonger by being cased in alluminum. If the end result is the same I would rather save $25 on a less expencive device.

If you or a friend uses one please tell me what I can expect? Did it amke a difference?

A little background:

Xr650R B/D light kit with re-wound stator. Bike will provide enough power "without battery" to run headlight / tail light / turn signals, as long as it's "just above idle." Will not properly power horn at any RPM.

All of the above (including horn) worked fine "at idle with battery." Problem is that I just blew up an old home made battery pack last night. Not very many hours on the battery pack since I re-wound the stator. I think that it was due to over charging? Anyway, I want to try a battery eliminator to be done with battery issues all together. Please help with battery eliminator info.

Thanks, S/T.

I have a white brothers BE in both of my xr 600, horns work fine. Try a lower wattage headlight if you want the horn to work.

When using a capacitor it needs to be as close to the source load as possible. The resistance of the wire impedes capacitive reactants with inductive reactants. I had one on my XR and under the seat the plinker relay would not work but, once I put the capacitor up by the head light it worked fine.

When using a capacitor it needs to be as close to the source load as possible. The resistance of the wire impedes capacitive reactants with inductive reactants. I had one on my XR and under the seat the plinker relay would not work but, once I put the capacitor up by the head light it worked fine.

I just used a common computer cap (a Mallory 16,000mFd at 25V if memory serves) from www.mouser.com. I have it under the seat and it works fine, even for the horn. And the plinkers plink, too. :applause:

4Takt

4Takt: Part Number?

I can't remember, sorry. You'll have to search.

4Takt

Just go to a Radio Shack or an Electronic store and ask for a 16,000mFd at 25V capasitor.