'06 WR450 Vs. '06 CRF450X

I'm going to buy a new bike this year around christmas time and have narrowed the choices down to the WR450 and the CRF450X. I havnt been able to find much on the comparison and difference of these bikes because they are so new. Does anyone have any opinions or info that might sway me one way or the other?

You are going to find much bias here. I suggest looking over each very carefully, sitting on them, ride them if possible, and make your own educated decision. The WR is cheaper and it has an enduro type computer this year. The 5 valve design has proven itself as a reliable design. To me, the choice is simple, but it's not my money and you should compare both specs and make your own physical inspection before making up your mind. Both will be great bikes, just get the one that fits you best.

yeah, i did. i thought that if i only put it in either the honda or yamaha section i would get a lot of bias one way or the other and that this way might help that.

I have been to dealers and sat on both bikes, but of course they wont let me ride them. I'm leaning towards the WR but just wanted to see what other people think of the who maybe have them or have ridden one or just know a lot about them in general.

Both bikes are great for their purpose. The Honda comes ready to go right out of the box while the Yamaha needs about 2 hrs. devoted to the "free mods". Word on the street is that the CRF/X motor is smoother in its power delivery while the WR is dare I say "pipey". I think the 40hr (or whatever it is) piston replacement schedule on the CRF/R applies to the the X as well. CRFs are notorious about valve issues (im sure its not all the CRFs, but the owners that have this issue are very adament about it). The WRs motor has proven to be reliable for a modern 4 stroke. The CRF looks like it would be more accomadating for shorter riders because its seat height is shorter that might be something for you to consider.

Both bikes are great for their purpose. The Honda comes ready to go right out of the box while the Yamaha needs about 2 hrs. devoted to the "free mods". Word on the street is that the CRF/X motor is smoother in its power delivery while the WR is dare I say "pipey". I think the 40hr (or whatever it is) piston replacement schedule on the CRF/R applies to the the X as well. CRFs are notorious about valve issues (im sure its not all the CRFs, but the owners that have this issue are very adament about it). The WRs motor has proven to be reliable for a modern 4 stroke. The CRF looks like it would be more accomadating for shorter riders because its seat height is shorter that might be something for you to consider.

I believe the seat height has been lowered this year on the WR.

I believe the seat height has been lowered this year on the WR.

Yeah but 38.2in or what ever it is is still too tall for someone shorter than 5'8"and its not like you can shave the seat (its already way slim). I think the CRF is around 37 inches. Oh well theres always a lowering link you can buy for it.

I am in the same dilemma. I really think the X is sexy as hell :ride: , but I have had a friend that had both, and with the reliability issues aside, the WR is MUCH easier to work on. Honda builds their bikes like they are never going to break. Just try doing carb work with that big aluminum frame in the way! :applause:

Here's what I'm beating around:

Honda:

Sexy.

No free mods required.

Possible reliability/maintenence problems (valves, piston)

Hard to work on.

More expensive.

WR:

Proven reliable (if not bulletproof) engine technology

Easier to work on

Comes with nice digital trail computer.

Cheaper.

Some work required initially just to make it ridable (free mods).

For me, the choice is fairly simple. But as has been said, you gotta just get what feels right for you, since you will be the one riding it all the time...or not, if you choose the wrong one!

I have been a Honda guy all my life, XR80, XL185, CR250, XR600, SuperHawk, CBR929RR, 919, even an Aquatrax and a CRX Si. But, when it came time for a 4-Stoke dirt bike, I did the research and the steadfast, unquestionable Honda reliability was not there. The patent on the 5-valve technology could not be overcome by their boys in the R&D department. The X is a great bike, but it is unproven and more spendy. One of my riding buddies has one and it has never given him issues, but he's fanatical about maintenance.

As far as riding ability and performance goes, let's be realistic for a moment...there are very few of us here that will ever be able to use either bike to its full potential. We're either too old, too fat, too scared, too lazy or too genetically inept to become the reincarnation of Ricky Carmichael. The smallest of margins separates the WR and the X in the performance category, and even in the big magazines, it usually comes down to a very subjective opinion that decides which bike is best in a particular year. The one facet that is constant however, is Maintenance/Reliabilty. Honda used to have the market cornered, and still does in most instances. But not here. The Boys in Blue have been doing it longer and better and have ironed out the wrinkles a bit more. Sure you have to do the free mods to really let her rip, but so what. I personally like the fact that all you have to do is wipe off some EPA-satisfying lipstick and rouge, and things are back where they're supposed to be. I kind of like the idea that I'm riding a bike that is pulling a fast one on the eco-nazis of Kalifornistan.

But that's just my opinion...SC :applause:

Here's what I'm beating around:

Honda:

Sexy.

No free mods required.

Possible reliability/maintenence problems (valves, piston)

Hard to work on.

More expensive.

You are definately wrong if you think that no free mods required.

They are choked more than the WR here in Australia, may be different in USA???

Honda has mods just like the Yamaha. Pink wire, lean carb, extremely heavy, corked up exhaust, restrictive intake ...etc...etc

Honda has some good power and handling but very heavy feeling and bulky between the knees.

The Yamaha gives you a better ride after free mods and susp. adjustments without breaking the bank. I like that they put the digital odo and more cushy seat on the '06

The Yamaha gives you a better ride after free mods and susp. adjustments without breaking the bank. I like that they put the digital odo and more cushy seat on the '06

Adjustable clamps and fatbar too.

I am just pissed that I didn't get them on the '05.

Oh well, I just gotta wait for the fuel injected, alloy framed WR to come out.

woods-rider,

They are both great bikes.

Honda has been discounting the CRF450X in the last few weeks (surplus inventory), so shop for a '05 if you want a better price.

My gut feeling is the Yamaha motor is more reliable and the technical support on this forum is a big help. Small changes have improved the Yamaha a lot over the past few years. I was impressed when testing it for jetting.

The "looks" of the aluminum framed Honda are hard to pass up though. I rode one in Colorado for 800 miles last summer with no problems at all.

Have fun shopping,

James