HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AzXr628

How many hours before changing piston on WR450

12 posts in this topic

I read that Yamaha said to change your piston around twenty hours,I have heard that riders are going over a 100hrs.Is there any rule to go by :applause:

12k to 15k mile WR's are the norm in our group with no issues.

Keeps on tickin....... :applause:

I read that Yamaha said to change your piston around twenty hours,I have heard that riders are going over a 100hrs.Is there any rule to go by :applause:

Still have yet to do one on my '01 426...............still has great compression :ride:

Do you guys change the piston when you start losing compression, or simply after so

many hours? I picked mine up used and have no idea how many hours are on the original piston.

YA.. What they said... you wont put enough hours on that bike to cange the piston unless you ride like a scalded dog... :applause::ride:

my wr has countless hours on it. and at least 50 000km on the org rings.......

I'm going to do the rings soon but not because it needs it...

my drz400 got over 80 000km on its first set of rings. i bet the WR could too.

i go through chains, sprockets, cables, and parts all to often. tires and oil all the time.

i never worry about the engine....... its the chassis that get hammered on, or i should say shows the ware.

Do you guys change the piston when you start losing compression, or simply after so

many hours? I picked mine up used and have no idea how many hours are on the original piston.

If the piston is all right (almost always) just rings need to be changed.

But if you go to the trouble of tearing down the engine, why not throw in a hi comp vertex or wiseco piston?