Cheap pit bike buyers beware

There are many new things happing in the Importing of Pit bike and other products. As of Jan 1st 2006 ALL import bikes will need to be EPA approved! If you are looking for a cheap bike from a "gargage sale" type importer, be aware of the fact most likely the seller will not be caring the bike in the future.

The cost to get EPA testing done can be well over 50K so most ALL of the cheap import bikes will fall by the waist side, and most dealers of them will be out of business, unless they team with a reputable company with dealer support and EPA approval. The people who have purchased these cheap bikes will have trouble getting parts etc...

However there are companies including myself who are in this for the long run. We have EPA approval, and soon to have Green sticker etc...

So BUYER BEWARE the so-called specails are most likely an attempt to clear out the inventory before the JAN 01 Dates. Ask the seller if they will be carring the bike in the future, If they have EPA Approval, do they have pictures of there parts stock etc...etc...

There are deals, of course but BUYER BEWARE!!

www.pitsterpro.com

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did this information come from? Is there some sort of EPA document that can be referred to? I know there has been some grumbling about this, but I didn't know it had happened.

Thanks for the infor!

Joe

It is all for real, call the local DMV they should be able to give you some info. But right now most of the DMV's are not real up on how it is all going to work. I will see if I can post the official letters etc... for state the 1/1/06 requirements.

In no way was I insinuating that he was lying. It’s just that for someone to state something that would have such a dramatic effect as that it would be nice to know some details... other than “I (me) saw it posted in a thread somewhere…

Jim

Of course I have official letters,(as well as many check stubs written to the EPA) This is something we www.pitsterpro.com have been preparing for ALL yr, and to tell you the truth, I'm very glad it is happening, (even though it cost me tens of thousands of dollars to get approval) because many of the garbage bikes will not have EPA approval, so hopefully many of them will go away.

In the long run It will make the prices alittle higher because of the added cost etc... But It will also make it better for the consumer because only the REAL businesses with REAL service, and REAL parts will survive.

I'm sorry, I am not a writer at all, But if you have any questions I am more then happy to help.

so i see pitster is in it for the long run, how about you other sponsers with pit bikes whats your input on this.are you all in it for the long run too or is just going to be pister, honda, and yamaha

I'm sure there are others beside Yamaha, and Honda, :applause: ha, ha, But thanks for listing those names next to mine, ha, ha, :ride:

Very good question, maybe some of them will let us know.

so i see pitster is in it for the long run, how about you other sponsers with pit bikes whats your input on this.are you all in it for the long run too or is just going to be pister, honda, and yamaha

for over seas companies, pitster and xtreme seem like they got it goin on the track

...as far as honda and yamahog they will always be around unless france bombs them

So I take it you actually have "official letters"?

Thanks

Jim

Jimmy your they guy that is selling stuff for poweresportsmax, maybe you can ask them about it. I would imagine that the ebay bikes you sale will not have EPA approval. If poweresports is for real then they should be able to tell you all about the EPA stuff. If you are Powersports you may want to look into this alittle more before ALL your containers get stopped at customs on Jan 1, 06. I'm sure there will be very many miss informed so called importers that will have containers not allowed into the states. If you have any questions I'll try to help.

• TT Sponsor

PITSTER PRO is on it !

EPA crt is a long time comming

around 2000-2001 EPA started with warnings

this is the reason the big 4 japan mfg are all developing 4 strokes for off road

im mean REAL 4 strokes for mx /offroad

units that actually compare to 2 strokes powerwise

The new regs do not require that all items being sent to this country have to meet the new EPA guidelines. If that were the case, there wouldn't be any two-strokes allowed past customs. If the pit-bike guys label the bikes as race use only, won't that get them past the EPA regs? I may be wrong, but that was my understanding.

Joe

p.s. I think its a good thing also, some of the bikes being sold are downright scary!

So there will be a loophole that will really screw the un-informed consumer! I figured there would be some way they could get around it. It should at least weed out some of the bikes. I would also assume that anything already in the states will be grandfathered in.

joe

I am in no way affiliated with Powersportsmax.com or any other manufacturer for that matter.

I just like the have cheap bike OPTIONS. I can't believe people on here (other than some manufacturers who have a vested interest in this) are glad that the government is passing questionable environmental laws that will RAISE THE COST OF ALL BIKES AND LIMIT BUYER OPTIONS. If you don't like the bikes, service, parts availability, etc. the DON'T BUY ONE. Why are you so gleeful to limit the choices of your fellow dirtbikers?

I'm so happy that you “are very glad this is happening” Pitster. It's so great that you have to pay out all this money for questionable environmental laws and then PASS THIS COST ALONG TO US so that YOU won't have to compete against cheap foreign competition. You act like your looking out for us. I’m sorry but I (and I think most people) don’t need you or the government to limit our buying options because you are looking out for us “un-informed consumers”.

Remember People; at one time all the Japanese manufacturers were viewed as cheap imitators of American bikes. Too bad they weren’t all squashed by questionable government regulations back the huh? Free market competition (ie. consumer choices) is a good thing. It helps keeps cost down and competition up. This is nothing more than protectionism for a few manufacturers who are willing to do the work and pay the cost which will then be passed on to you. I’m actually glad Pitster offers a better bike, better service, better parts availability, warrantee ect. But then that’s what they need to compete on. Not with the use of questionable government regulations that PROTECT THEIR MARKET.

You can put all the lipstick on this pig you want Pitster but this is not a good thing for the buying public. Beware what you ask for people because in the end you just might get it… in the rear… :applause:

I don't think meant to imply that I was happy about the EPA regs, but I am happy that there are some sort of regs on the imports. Can you imagine being a company like BBR and seeing the BBB bike on eBay? Did you see the test of the Chinese bike in Mini Moto last month? The bike was dangerous if it was used as anything more than tooling around the back yard.

I support some regs that insure that the customer is getting what they expect, if that starts out as EPA regs to keep the the bottom feeders out, so be it.

Joe