Riding the BAJA Peninsula

If you guy's were going to ride Baja on a WR 426 what would you do to your bike before you left out? Mine is an '02 Model. All the popular modifications are already done, and a Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit has been installed, I had it shortened 3" so my little Pygme Legs could touch the ground. The other 3 guy's going have KLR 650's. I have ordered a set of Dunlop D606 Dual Sport Tires.

Other wise the bike has less than 200 miles on it, I have disassembled all the linkage on the rear shock the swing arm and the steering neck and greased all the bearings, so I feel pretty confident about it mechanically, but I would like to hear from some of you that have ridden your bikes in similar situations.

Bigger Fuel Tank?

Taller Gearing?

Build a Luggage Rack?

Bigger tank for sure, unless you carry a LOT of fuel in bottles in a backpack. Gas stations can be far apart in Baja from what I'm finding out. I'll be there next week. New tires to fend off the rocks. Skid-plate to keep the rocks from putting a hole in your engine case.

Some extra Pesos in your pocket. Drivers liscense and registration and tourist card.

That's just a start.

Enjoy

Adjust/check the valves.

A big tank! Spare gas can? A place to pack it?

ALL of the required maintenance for your next service.

Make sure your chain and sprockets have enough left to get you there and back.

Do you have room for all of your stuff? Backpack? Saddle bags?

New tires and an extra rear if you’re going beyond it’s limit.

Extra tube(s)?

For starters. :applause:

Heavy inner tubes with slime. This is more critical the farther south you go since the vegetation becomes less forgiving as you go south. Extra tubes and tools to do tire repair are also important. KLR's will want to stick more to the pavement and graded roads than technical trails. Tall gearing may make this a better match and help with fuel mileage. Skidplate and handguards will also keep a trip killing malfunction to a minimum. Maxis IT tires will last longer on and off road than the Dunlop's will. Lot's of Gas and Water because if you run out of one you will need alot of the other. :applause:

Thank's Guy's,

Those are pretty much the Items I had already come up with. I am putting on a set of D606 Dunlops and was thinking of going all the way out to a 16 tooth front sprocket.

Carrying extra fuel may be difficult, I have some Ideas but nothing concrete yet. Do any of you know a source for a larger fuel tank?

Thank's

Jeff

Make sure the bike is in top condition, front to back, top to bottom. Big fuel tank. Bridgestone heavy duty tubes. Tough tires (I'd tell you my preferences, but we don't need the controversy that will follow). Tire spoons and patching equipment and an air pump or co2 cartridges. Carry plenty of water & some snacks. Comprehensive tool kit. Rain gear. Large hand guards and gloves with plenty of finger protection ( the cactus spines are very painful). Stopleak and a tube of epoxy putty in case you poke a hole in a radiator or case. Extra oil. I do use taller gearing, usually one tooth up on the countershaft, or 3-4 down on the rear sprocket. Compact first aid kit and your favorite pain killers. Don't get lost. I probably forgot something, but I'm sure somebody will come up with it.

Thank's again Guy's

The Bike only has about 200 Miles on it even though it is an '02 model. I am still giving everything the once over just to make sure it's in tip top shape.

On the gearing I was actually going to go to a 16f 50r, but I have time to check it out before I leave.

For Xtra Fuel I found an Aluminum Rear Rack that was made for the Bike, and I am going to attach 3 separate 1.25 Gallon fuel cells to it. The Fuel Cells are made by Kolpin and are roughly 12"x12" x3". They are made for 4 wheelers but I am going to adapt the mount and lay them flat on the rack and bolt them through the center.

I already had the Extra Heavy Tubes covered, I also have New Dunlop D606's, Tire iron's & co2 with extra tubes, tools, some nice bags from Rev Pack.

I will be servicing the Cooling System next week and putting in Engine Ice, I have also heard good things about the 2 Cool Oil Additive.

Just did a fresh Oil Change with Yamalube 20w40 and put in a new oil Filter.

I purchased small cans of chain lube and some extra oil to throw in.

I already have the Hand Guards, Skid Plate, and did all the populars mods to it back when I bought it new.

Oh yeah I almost forgot I got a GPS Mount for the Handlebars so not to get lost, tent, sleeping bag and a rope. John Wayne said if you lay a rope around your bed roll a snake won't cross it! Yeah Right.

And most importantly I am going to the gym every day trying to make sure I am in shape for 1,200 to 1,500 miles of BAJA terrain.

Jeff

Some of you guy's mention changing the stock handle bars for aftermarket.

I am going to ask the stupid question WHY?

I have been riding for 30+ years, past rides include Indian, Harley(current & 7 total over the years), Honda, BSA (current in street & race form 10 total over the years), yamaha ( TT500 & the WR 426).

Why are aftermarket Bars the Way to go? The stock bars on my WR sem to be comfortable. Why Change?

Jeff

Why change bars? While I find the stockers comfortable enough, the aluminum tapered bars will take some of the shock out of large hits and are less tiring in the long run. I stay with the stockers until they are damaged to the point of not being useable and then I replace with aluminum. A word about chain lube. It's been my experience that when riding in sand, chain lube acts as a sand magnet, turns the lube into a grinding compound and quickly turns the chain and sprockets into junk. I use WD-40 or equivalent on the chain and a steel rear sprocket and enjoy long life from these components when sand riding. :applause:

A word about chain lube. It's been my experience that when riding in sand, chain lube acts as a sand magnet, turns the lube into a grinding compound and quickly turns the chain and sprockets into junk. I use WD-40
I 2nd that. We never use chain lube, just WD. A high quality o-ring chain (DID ERV2 for example) and steel rear sprocket and you'll be good.

I just got back end of last month. Would stay w/ 606's both ends, I ran 606 front and 739AT rear the 739 was good off road but had a lot of wear on pavement runs. Used a MSR 6 Ltr Dromedary bag for extra fuel (no large tank available for my bike) rolls up nice and compact when empty available at REI for $29.99. Scotts dampner was a plus. I used a Camelbak Rim runner back pack, 3 Ltrs water with a large capacity for stuff. Have Fun! Oh one last thing put on all your stuff and extra fuel Just like your going to ride and adjust your suspension accordingly. Its amazing how much weight you will add.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000010.html

Some of you guy's mention changing the stock handle bars for aftermarket.

I am going to ask the stupid question WHY?

I have been riding for 30+ years, past rides include Indian, Harley(current & 7 total over the years), Honda, BSA (current in street & race form 10 total over the years), yamaha ( TT500 & the WR 426).

Why are aftermarket Bars the Way to go? The stock bars on my WR sem to be comfortable. Why Change?

Jeff

Good quality aftermarket aluminum bars are much stronger than your stock steel bars. If you crash or even if your bike falls over it will bend your bars, riding through Baja with bent bars is not as fun as riding through Baja with straight bars.

Here's some more tips Halfast- Carry baby wipes cuz ya never know when ya gotta go. Make sure you bring your registration for your bike and carry it with you at all times. I've done a few trips down there with an average mileage of 500 miles over a weekend. One of the best investments I made was seat foam and cover from Guts Racing. Go with the tall/ soft combo. If yer doin' 1500 miles you'll get serious monkey butt!!. Carry extra nuts/ bolts/ tie wire/ zip ties/ inner tubes. Make sure to pack some octane boost!!! Most of the Pemex stations carry 90+ octane but if you're going out in the boonies you'll more than likely buy gas in one gallon plastic jugs. I think this stuff is one step from tequila :applause: I bought the biggest backpack with a hydration system I could find and loaded it with everything I could think of. Even though it's really heavy you get used to it pretty quick.

Also, carry small bills and hide them in various places on yourself. Chances are you won't get any hassels from anyone but if ya hafta pay a federale off ya don't wanna show him all your$$$$. Just about everyone down there is really cool so just treat the locals with some respect and give the kiddies stickers and they'll treat ya like a rock star. But most important is to have fun down there!!!!