Aftermarket pipes "are they worth the cash"

After market pipes and headers can really add up to a lot of money, and most of the threads indicate a power increase, but it doesnt sound like anything substantial or worth the $700+ for a nice setup.Let me know your input ,is it enough extra power to get excited about or is the stock setup pretty good as it comes.Im talking about a yz450 04 model

that what i have and go tthe ti-4 pro circui setup its asome i love the extra power about 5 to 6 mph diff and a lot more horse power

I think aftermarket exhausts are worth the money. I had a yoshimura system on my bike for a while and then one day it started to fall apart, so I now have a FMF powerbomb header and the stainless mid-pipe and an anodized titanium slip-on. While I was waiting on my FMF system, I rode the bike at a MX track with the stock system, I could not believe the performance difference, my bike had no hit at all! I think the FMF would be a good choice, fit and finish is top notch and its not much louder than stock. As far as performance......well lets say its night and day difference in how the bike performs. :banghead:

I personally have the Pro Circuit TI-4 on my '05 YZ450. It increased power over stock everywhere and revs well. It is lighter than stock. It is way louder than stock.

With the 450's there are a few things to look at with a pipe upgrade. I think the most important is the weight reduction and relocation. These bikes need all the help they can get here to help handling. Next is the power. Some increase power some everywhere, some more on top or down low, and some give more over-rev, pick your preference. And last (although could be first depending on your riding areas) is sound. Many pipes that increase power also increase noise over stock. And there are some that are as quiet or quieter than stock and make good power.

After market pipes and headers can really add up to a lot of money, and most of the threads indicate a power increase, but it doesnt sound like anything substantial or worth the $700+ for a nice setup.Let me know your input ,is it enough extra power to get excited about or is the stock setup pretty good as it comes.Im talking about a yz450 04 model

It depends on your riding ability.......if this is worth it or not.

that what i have and go tthe ti-4 pro circui setup its asome i love the extra power about 5 to 6 mph diff and a lot more horse power

Have another beer. :banghead:

I think they are worth it depending on the system. If you want to turn your bike into a low end monster and gain power everywhere, I have a Thunder Alley Complete system in the classified section for 250 bucks.

I left the stock header on my YZ 400 and added an FMF Q2 can, the bike is super quiet, the low end is much more responsive and the overall acceleration is much more tractable than the the stock system, I also had a PC T-4 that was a monster in the midrage and top end but was VERY loud. Honsely, I've heard alot of good things about the YZF stock exhaust system compared to other bike manufacturers sock pipes. If you're concerned for cash I'd suggest taking a had look at what part of the RPM range you wanna fix and the appropriate noise lvl, then work from there. I know several guys who run the stock header and aftermarket mufflers, as do I,and it works great. But if you're gonna do it just to add cool-guy stuff to the bike choose wisely. The T-4 I had was not appropriate for woods riding, it hit hard and was way loud.

I've had a handful of systems on my 426 (Stock, DSP Ti open-type, FMF PB & Q and FMF PB & Powercore IV). I dont think any of them really increased power output as much as they change the power characteristics. With the Q the bike is a low/mid workhorse and thats what I use in the woods/mountains where low end (and a quite pipe) are needed. The Powercore (and the old DSP system) really kicks in the mid/top and is loud as hell so that's my desert pipe. On a dyno I bet there's less than 1-2hp difference between them all, but seat of the pants tells a whole different story.

I think pipe manufacturers should be advertising their pipes 'characteristics' rather than power increase. A pipe may make a 2-3hp increase, but it could be at a point in the powerband where you wont ride very often so its null. Its all marketing cheese.

Is it worth it?? I don't think so. I think $700 would be better off spent on suspension. YZ 450 are set up from the factory for a 170 pound rider with gear. I don't know what you way, but say if you weight 200 pounds with all of your gear on, then having the proper springs and valves set up in your suspension is going to give you a lot more "speed" then an extra 3 ponies (on the top end of the revs) will.

If you only weigh 170 or less, then ignore this post.

Dirt rider or Racer X just did an article on several pipes on the HON, YAM, and KAW versus the stock pipes....... a month or two ago. It certainly opened my eyes!!! I won't ever spend the money on an aftermarket system again!!! Looking at their charts of "power" gains.....there isn't much difference from stock pipes.

All the guys that claim they gained a ton of speed or power...... I think they are just trying to justify wasting $700!!

I agree with the earlier post, spend the money on suspension work or new riding gear or a night out on the town.......but don't waste it on an exhaust system.

Quik...

Dirt rider or Racer X just did an article on several pipes on the HON, YAM, and KAW versus the stock pipes....... a month or two ago. It certainly opened my eyes!!! I won't ever spend the money on an aftermarket system again!!! Looking at their charts of "power" gains.....there isn't much difference from stock pipes.

All the guys that claim they gained a ton of speed or power...... I think they are just trying to justify wasting $700!!

I agree with the earlier post, spend the money on suspension work or new riding gear or a night out on the town.......but don't waste it on an exhaust system.

Quik...

What he said.... :banghead:

you can usually always find them used in some add somewhere. As for if its worth the extra money. Yes i agree it is. I went all out and bought the white brothers carbon pro in the begginging of this year. Yeah it ran me almost 1,000 but you know what there is nothing like being able to tell what bike is yours amongst a huge croud you know...and of course the minor power difference...

I have a 04' yz450 with the stock pipe, and I too have debated weather to get a pipe or not.I have read all the pipe ads where they claim hundreds of hours of dyno time to produce this "ultimate" pipe.I have a hard time believing they do more R+D work than the parent company[Yamaha or whoever].But now I need a pipe that has a spark arrestor to race so I'm at a crossroads .Do I get a gty-r pipe or one of the dozen aftermarket ones?If I go aftermarket which pipe claims the most mid-range power increase as I ride desert exclusively?Some is slow rock stuff and other is wide open 4th gear so I need a versatile pipe.

I have a 04' yz450 with the stock pipe, and I too have debated weather to get a pipe or not.I have read all the pipe ads where they claim hundreds of hours of dyno time to produce this "ultimate" pipe.I have a hard time believing they do more R+D work than the parent company[Yamaha or whoever].But now I need a pipe that has a spark arrestor to race so I'm at a crossroads .Do I get a gty-r pipe or one of the dozen aftermarket ones?If I go aftermarket which pipe claims the most mid-range power increase as I ride desert exclusively?Some is slow rock stuff and other is wide open 4th gear so I need a versatile pipe.

Just score one of those ProMotoBillet endcaps, that have the sparky. They even have a quiet insert that can be installed "wiki wiki" when your'e in an area that has sound restriction's. I put a YZ pipe on 04 WR450 and am running a Dr. D. endcap at the moment, and I also have the PMB endcap. Have yet to install the PMB to see if there's any difference. Big difference- endcap that fit's your stock exhaust-$150 and aftermarket exhaust-$700. :banghead:

What he said.... :banghead:

Ditto...

I don't care what the dyno results say. I've got an FMF hi-flo header and Powercore IV and the difference from stock toward mid and top is quite noticable. It seems to rev to the moon now and go way longer before bouncing the rev limiter. The problem is it fails every Db test it goes near. i'm going for the Dr. D system pretty soon. That or a white brothers E2.

maybe it is like cars? The rice grinders with "coffee can" mufflers sure are loud....but not faster! :banghead:

Honestly though, the T-4 system I had on my 426 uncorked it. Not only did I feel the difference but so did everyone who rode the bike.

I think you will find that using a broad brush to paint all systems the same is bad. Some bikes benefit from some systems and the opposite is true.

BTW......Wyatt ..... $165 now for the entire Thunder Ally?????

ever notice how that new trick part or accessory on your bike makes you "faster".....

its a mental thing, the gnomes told me

Over the years I've found that the most cost-effective method to increase power and make you a faster rider is to add stickers to your bike.