Dead engine race starts 01 yz426

I am considering riding a local woods race for the first time and my main concern is the dead engine start. My 01 426 is pretty good about starting on one kick if it is warmed up first but I was wondering if someone has a 426 "drill" for getting a consistent dead engine race start. Thanks!

I am considering riding a local woods race for the first time and my main concern is the dead engine start. My 01 426 is pretty good about starting on one kick if it is warmed up first but I was wondering if someone has a 426 "drill" for getting a consistent dead engine race start. Thanks!

Get the jetting spot on. If they let you start your bike when some of the rows in front of you start to keep it warmed up. I also found that my bike starts better with a moderate speed kick. I found that during race starts I was trying too hard to start it and it took 5-10 kicks to start. I also have installed the 03 auto decompression cam so it generally starts half way through a nice easy deliberate kick. I then start winding open the throttle and letting the clutch go by the bottom of the stroke. If I get my timing is off and do not give it enough throttle and stall it then it takes a few kicks :-(

Good point about not kicking too hard.

My tip:

Slip the clutch in a tall gear to warm up the clutch plates.

Don't get them hot, but if the oil and plates are warm it kicks through in gear WAY easier.

Leave the bike running, in gear, clutch pulled (so the plates stay fully lubed), until they make everybody quit, but after you kill the motor leave the clutch pulled in and bike in gear.

So, warm oil/plates and leave the clutch pulled are what I do to make it DEng start easily. I was 2 for 2 on first-kick on my 426 (1 for 2 on the CRF).

I have raced my 426 in several dead start GP's and HareScrambles this year and last year. I wouldn't be concerned about a dead engine start. If your bike reliably starts in the pits, it will start on the line. If the race is a harescramble race, the Pro's and A riders always start 1st then the other classes/riders start about a minute apart. I would suggest while you are on the starting line, practicing the starting routine with the other classes that take off in front of you. I usually only do it on every other class and sometimes only one or two classes depending on the outside temperature. I have found that my bike starts best if the motor is warm but not too hot and not too cold.

Here is the starting procedure that has been posted and is rock solid for me:

Push down the kickstarter down until you hit the compression stroke. Then once you hit the compression pullin the decompression lever and continue to push down about an inch. Bring the kickstarter up to the starting position and give it a kick. (DO NOT TURN THE THROTTLE WHILE STARTING)

This procedure is bullet-proof providing the bike is already warmed up and the motor isn't too hot. If the motor is really hot, the procedure is the same but you need to pull the red hot start button. (This does make a difference) Especially if you stall in the woods and the motor is really hot.

I too used to be concerned with dead starts but again, if you know the bike starts fine in the pits, it will start just fine on the line. You may not get it started the 1st time everytime - but then again, not everyone else does either. In my last race, I got a 1st kick and a good start, the race before it took me 2-3 times -no big deal for me, a Harescramble is a long race...

Good tip regarding the clutch. Those guys with those Electric Start WR'S make me mad! :banghead:

Starting your bike everytime a row takes off is wasted energy, warm the motor before any classes take off. Shut it off before the first row takes off, and let it sit there until your class takes off. 426's can be moody when there hot, and it won't cool off to much while the rows in front of you start.