04 YZ450F 4 speed?

Are the 04 YZ450F's 4 speeds or 5 speeds?

Are the 04 YZ450F's 4 speeds or 5 speeds?
the '03-'05 models are four speeds. When geared so that first on both bikes is the same overall ratio, there is a 3-4 mph theoretical difference in the top speed of the YZ450 and the YZ426 with a 5 speed. The four speed just means that you have to shift less often.

I was told that the first gear was taken out.

The other gears are spaced a bit, but first gear is tall.

I really like the 4 speed on my 04', I race and trail ride with a stock flywheel. I don't stall in the tight stuff unless I go down. Just used to it I guess.

I really like the 4 speed on my 04', I race and trail ride with a stock flywheel. I don't stall in the tight stuff unless I go down. Just used to it I guess.

4 Gears to choose from is plenty for me as well.

Tight twisty's in the woods after dropping 1 tooth on the front is perfect in 2nd or 3rd. I rarely have to drop into 1st in the woods. 3rd is perfect all the way around for playing on the tracks I frequent-never have to shift. Stock Flywheel as well with a Rekluse.

Dirty

04 yz450f is a 4 speed

4 Gears to choose from is plenty for me as well.

Tight twisty's in the woods after dropping 1 tooth on the front is perfect in 2nd or 3rd. I rarely have to drop into 1st in the woods. 3rd is perfect all the way around for playing on the tracks I frequent-never have to shift. Stock Flywheel as well with a Rekluse.

Dirty

i'm with you sanchez, the 4spd with a rekluse is a woods weapon :banghead: i'm much faster on the same trails compared to my wr :banghead:

I was told that the first gear was taken out.
Nothing was "taken out". The 4 speed is a totally different transmission from the 5 speed. The WR450 five speed will interchange as a complete unit, but none of the parts from one transmission will fit the other.

First gear in the 4 spd is 1.93

First gear is YZ426 is 1.85

4th gear in the 4 spd is 1.05, which splits in between the 426's 4th and 5th, which are 1.09, and .95

Mine is geared (15/49) so that the overall ratio in 4th is identical to the overall ratio of a stock YZ426 in 5th, and that gives me a first gear at 17.76, instead of the 18.68 of the 426. A little taller, but not bad, usually.