03 vs 05 WR 450 ???

I recently purchased a 03 WR 450 with 2 hrs use and like new condition.I wasn't looking for one,just came accross a deal where the guy had to sell it in a bad way.Honestly I bought it to resell,as I had just bought a new 06 KTM 300 XCW 2 smoker.I have never owned a 4 stroke in my 35 years of riding.I suppose,I was stuck in my ways and couldn't get passed the 4 strokers of old.

I hate to admit it,but I am loving this thing more than my KTM.The positives of this bike are many,but I have to wonder how much better the next generation of WR's are than the 03.All the hype of the new model aside,what are the real world differences? Lets hear it.Thanks. :banghead:

As far as i am concerned, the 03 and 04 were the last of the great WR's. tank size, less restrictions, etc...is the short list of positives. in 05, the tank size became ridiculous, seat height dropped (i prefer sitting high) and MORE AND MORE california restrictions were added to the bike.

HOWEVER, some of the 03's have a starter problem that was addressed by yamaha, and there is a fix available.

Its an awesome bike...carve up the pumpkin and put er' on the doorstep...after all, its holloween!!!

HOWEVER, some of the 03's have a starter problem that was addressed by yamaha, and there is a fix available.

I am experiencing starter problems now.Sometimes it turns over,sometimes it doesn't.Just a clicking noise.If someone can send me a link that addresses this problem I would appreciate it.Is yamaha recalling/warranting this problem?

check your amps. If its not your amps then check your connections. I have a spare batt that I used to connect to the terminals on the bike and it made the clicking noise. I connected the clamps on better and that allows more aperage to flow...no clicking. Now I got a buggered starter clutch but thats a different story.

Sometimes it turns over,sometimes it doesn't.Just a clicking noise.

I recently had the same issue with my 03.

And fixed it by doing the following also...

I connected the clamps on better and that allows more aperage to flow...no clicking.

I am experiencing starter problems now.Sometimes it turns over,sometimes it doesn't.Just a clicking noise.If someone can send me a link that addresses this problem I would appreciate it.Is yamaha recalling/warranting this problem?

Time to rebuild the starter motor. The brushes are worn or have so much crap in the motor that they are not picking up clean contact. You can take the motor out and replace the brushes and clean the inside of the motor without much hassle. I pull my motor out from the kick starter side and leave everything else on the bike. :banghead:

Sounds like you need to do the '04 starter upgrade. Do a search for it as it's been discussed at extremely great length. There's a ton of great info in the archives, just do a few search variations and you'll find it...SC

The 04 upgrade will do nothing for your poor starting. It is only to prevent woodruff key failures and case and gear breakages that may occur if you get a backfire while starting. Check connections and/or motor brushes.

As far as i am concerned, the 03 and 04 were the last of the great WR's. tank size, less restrictions, etc...is the short list of positives. in 05, the tank size became ridiculous, seat height dropped (i prefer sitting high) and MORE AND MORE california restrictions were added to the bike.

I've owned both bikes, the 03 and now the 05.. The 05 is miles ahead in the just about every way. The 05 is now green stickered, healthy VIN means street leagal for some of us. The 05 does have the AIS attached to the head but can be removed in less than an hour, a small price to pay to have a clean VIN number. Also the carb was setup with a non adjustable needle set in the middle position, that's where my 04 needle is at, I should've left the 05 needle alone. The fuel mixture screw has a cover than can be popped off with the greatest of ease. The benefits outweigh the negatives... The 05s and 06s turn better and handle better, the WR has always been known as a top heavy pig in the past, times are changing.... If you've read any recent reviews, they WRs are better than they've ever been..

You can buy a tank at the TT store for under 200 bucks.. Not too shabby...

There isn't that much difference between the 2003 and 2005. The 2005 has been made a little more tame to make the bike pass smog and address the top heavy issues. The 2005 does have a little less compression but is still a really fast bike. You are probably just fine keeping the 2003 and not changing over to the 2005 or 2006.

I've owned both bikes, the 03 and now the 05.. The 05 is miles ahead in the just about every way. The 05 is now green stickered, healthy VIN means street leagal for some of us. The 05 does have the AIS attached to the head but can be removed in less than an hour, a small price to pay to have a clean VIN number. Also the carb was setup with a non adjustable needle set in the middle position, that's where my 04 needle is at, I should've left the 05 needle alone. The fuel mixture screw has a cover than can be popped off with the greatest of ease. The benefits outweigh the negatives... The 05s and 06s turn better and handle better, the WR has always been known as a top heavy pig in the past, times are changing.... If you've read any recent reviews, they WRs are better than they've ever been..

You can buy a tank at the TT store for under 200 bucks.. Not too shabby...

Ditto. I agree with your assessment. With better weight distribution, an 05 with a little engine tuning is an awesome bike. Mine has a more useful power curve (after mods) than the 03 I have experience with and handles a little better as well.

Weight is very important to me,but my 03 doesn't seem bad at all.I'm 6'2 250 and have a large upper body,so I'm sure that helps.

The bike has very few hrs,maybe 5.I hope it's not burnt out brushes/motor in that amount of time.I've been reading up on the updates.I'm not going to get a new one,I,just bought new KTM.I was just wondering what I was missing out on with a 05.Thanks for the replies. :banghead:

There isn't that much difference between the 2003 and 2005. The 2005 has been made a little more tame to make the bike pass smog and address the top heavy issues.

They're completely different bikes from the ground up.. Yamaha engineers didn't lower the compression to "make the bike pass smog" they lowered the compression ratio to make the bike more manageable offroad. It worked..... WRs were known for an abrupt power delivery this was their fix. The newest WRs are as "fast" if not faster than the older models... Don't confuse abruptness with tractable power. They doing great in the motor department...

I REALLY REALLY feel for you folks living under the iron fist over in Cali.

And whats worse, is that your state ruined the yamaha offroad bikes for the rest of us too. :banghead:

?

Nothing's more entertaining that see some dude on the internet who thinks he knows how to sell more motorcycles than a major Japanese Corporation.... I'm surprised you're so bent out of shape simply on the AIS unit, coming from a guy that puts luggage on his bike you wouldn't think you'd care so much....

:banghead: