KLX300 vs. KDX220 ~ Good woods bike?

I'm thinking of getting off the DRZ as my primary off road machine. It's a good bike and very capable in the right hands. Unfortunately, MINE are not the right hands. I'm a mediocre rider at best. but I really think that my ability (or lack of) is hindered by my particular bikes shortcomings. It's Big, it's heavy, it's way more bike than I need in the nasty ass whooped out singletrack I ride. it's a good commuter, and a very good dual sport, and does very well in more open trails. But when you go down 35 miles of whooped out trail (most of it less the 30" wide) and have to bounce it off of every tree on it. you start to feel like a pin ball. the guys I ride with tend to cut down their bars and alot of em ride small light weight bikes that (to me) feel like moutain bikes with motors. I've shaved a ton of weight off my DRZ, but I still need a lighter smaller bike. I'm not much of a two stroke guy (I'm not one to wanna have to ride the pipe) but as I understand it, this isn't the case with the KDX220. but the KLX300 is a thumper and looks like a better package.

So, what the best bet? :banghead::banghead:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the KDX my dad has as a backup. I havent ridden a stocker but with the FMF Gnarly there is nothing pipey about them, it feels like a fourstroke that picks up a ton of steam in the mid range, no hit, just makes more power when revved than not. Very easy to ride, even for me normally riding a 230. Easier to find cheap used than the KLX as well.

The kdx is an awesome woods bike, so is the ktm 200/250 exc, and the rmx250. All are really good bikes. Do you have a stabilizer on youre drz? I agree that the tight,sandy, wooped out michigan trails(im originally from Kalamazoo) is not the ideal place for the drz, but its such a great DS bike that i cant get rid of mine. I think im gonna pick up another kdx200 this winter and have the best of both worlds.

The best bet would be the KDX220. Ride it stock for awhile like a 4 stroke. Then gradually open things up and tune boingers as you feel the need for speed. There is unlimited potential in the KDX for playing all the way to full on racing. The KLX300 is now and always will be a play bike just like the XR250 and XR400. By the way, the XR250 is worthy of consideration from anyone considering a KLX300 and IM humble O the better choice.

The best bet would be the KDX220. Ride it stock for awhile like a 4 stroke. Then gradually open things up and tune boingers as you feel the need for speed. There is unlimited potential in the KDX for playing all the way to full on racing. The KLX300 is now and always will be a play bike just like the XR250 and XR400. By the way, the XR250 is worthy of consideration from anyone considering a KLX300 and IM humble O the better choice.
this site has the specs on both bikes. It seems to me that there is some confusion as to what bikes I'm looking at. The KDX, looks more dated then the KLX IMHO :banghead:

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/machines/2003/kawasaki/klx300r.html

I ride the KLX 300 and with the right springs and a few breather mods, it is a great trailbike with lots of power across the entire band. It really shines in the tight single track, woods riding, and does about 70MPH wound out on the fire roads. It hangs with the DRZ's and the bigger thumpers well offroad.

The KLX is not a track bike however. I've only had it on a few tracks, and it doesn't compare well with the 250MX bikes... but it has better attributes in the woods.

I can't speak about the KDX.. but I hear the KLX is just the 4 stroke version of the KDX 200.

I ride in ONF (Big Scrub) occasionally, so if you are ever there when I am... you can try mine out. That is the only way you will know if it is right for you.

One of the guys I ride with has a 04 KDX 220 and I've ridden it a bit and it's a great machine. The tighter it gets the more it shines. Riding it back to back with my WR450 shows just how much the four strokes weigh and that sometimes more power isn't the answer. I'm not getting rid of the Wr any time soon (it's way too much fun) but I'm seriously thinking of getting a small bore 2 stroke as a backup and quest bike. The only thing I don't really like is that the seat feels like my sofa.

I ride the KLX 300 and with the right springs and a few breather mods, it is a great trailbike with lots of power across the entire band. It really shines in the tight single track, woods riding, and does about 70MPH wound out on the fire roads. It hangs with the DRZ's and the bigger thumpers well offroad.

The KLX is not a track bike however. I've only had it on a few tracks, and it doesn't compare well with the 250MX bikes... but it has better attributes in the woods.

I can't speak about the KDX.. but I hear the KLX is just the 4 stroke version of the KDX 200.

I ride in ONF (Big Scrub) occasionally, so if you are ever there when I am... you can try mine out. That is the only way you will know if it is right for you.

man....where were you last june when I was back home. :banghead: I practically LIVED in the ONF. I was there 3 or more times a week staging outta Big Scrubb. I only get down occasionally now.

I can only speak for myself in saying that the KDX is not for taller riders. I'm 5' 10" and the bike fits me fine, but I could see someone taller finding it a bit cramped. I have a Pro Circuit pipe set-up on mine with the V-force three cage. I'm a mediocre rider, and find it to have more than enough power for off-road.

Coming off that big Cadillac DRZ you may get frustrated with all the extra clutching and shifting in tighter stuff, but I think the maneuverability of the lighter bike will make up for it.

Price wise, I don't think you can go wrong with either of the kawis.

there's only 9lbs difference between them, 222/231. compared to my DRZ at 280 :banghead:

Damn you got her down to 280, thats pretty good. I had an 03 DRZ400S that I sold a month ago for the same reasons. I had that DRZ in almost every situation, believe me!! I was ready to lay down some cash for a KTM and was thinking a 2 stroke like the KTM 300EXC cause I didn't see the purpose in selling the DRZ for a 7 grand KTM 4 stroke like 450EXC and only saving 40 or so pounds. I opted for my second choice which was the KDX220 cause of financial reasons.

I will tell you that Kawi stopped making the KDX220 in 05 so if you want a new left over, you had better get looking. Why they stopped making the 220 and only make the 200 is a whole other thread. I shopped around the net and found a new left over 04 KDX220 model within a 7 hour drive for 3500 OTD. I plan on going to pick it up next week and venture another 100 miles to Moab to break it in so Ill give you a full ride report in about 3 weeks. My bro has a KDX220 in his assortment and we switched back and forth on recent Moab trips and I loved it. The only complaint I had was it seemed to lack in the upper end but hey its known as a trail bike and I was compairing it to the DRZ plus not sure how he had the gearing set up. The reliability is bar none!!

In my search I came across a few leftover 05's around your part of town. I will eventually get another 4 stroke to go along with the KDX

Damn you got her down to 280, thats pretty good. I had an 03 DRZ400S that I sold a month ago for the same reasons. I had that DRZ in almost every situation, believe me!! I was ready to lay down some cash for a KTM and was thinking a 2 stroke like the KTM 300EXC cause I didn't see the purpose in selling the DRZ for a 7 grand KTM 4 stroke like 450EXC and only saving 40 or so pounds. I opted for my second choice which was the KDX220 cause of financial reasons.

I will tell you that Kawi stopped making the KDX220 in 05 so if you want a new left over, you had better get looking. Why they stopped making the 220 and only make the 200 is a whole other thread. I shopped around the net and found a new left over 04 KDX220 model within a 7 hour drive for 3500 OTD. I plan on going to pick it up next week and venture another 100 miles to Moab to break it in so Ill give you a full ride report in about 3 weeks. My bro has a KDX220 in his assortment and we switched back and forth on recent Moab trips and I loved it. The only complaint I had was it seemed to lack in the upper end but hey its known as a trail bike and I was compairing it to the DRZ plus not sure how he had the gearing set up. The reliability is bar none!!

In my search I came across a few leftover 05's around your part of town. I will eventually get another 4 stroke to go along with the KDX

lots of crap removed and lots of fabbed aluminum bits to get it down that far. I've had several other DRZ owners throw a leg over mine and the first thing they say it "Damn, this thing is alot lighter than mine."

If it's Green...I've ridden it.

If it's Green and it's a 2-Stroke...I've raced it!

Eventhough I love the new KX450, and I've got a "TeamGreen 500" in the Garage, I still can say this about the KDX220...

It's the best "All-Around" Off-Road bike for the Money...

PERIOD!

I've had a blast and a lot of Wins in H/S, Enduro and H&H on 200/220s.

Even a Few MX races at Marysville and Hollister in '91! Won a couple of 'em, too!

Get one...you'll love it!

there's only 9lbs difference between them, 222/231. compared to my DRZ at 280 :banghead:

From what I hear you double the size of the two stroke to compare to a four stroke IE the KDX is comparable to a 440 Four stroke?? so that would be another way to look at the difference. Any body else hear this?

From what I hear you double the size of the two stroke to compare to a four stroke IE the KDX is comparable to a 440 Four stroke?? so that would be another way to look at the difference. Any body else hear this?
I've heard that too. but power isnt the issue so much. The trails here (most of em any way) are so tight you rarely get outta 2nd-3rd gear anyway. to give you a better idea. the perfect bike here would have a 250CC four stroke crammed into a CR/YX/KX/RM 80 frame, bars cut down, with a steering stabilizer and, some really good bark busters. :banghead:

the perfect bike here would have a 250CC four stroke crammed into a CR/YX/KX/RM 80 frame, bars cut down, with a steering stabilizer and, some really good bark busters. :banghead:

ya some good power but wouldn't your knees be hitting the dirt :banghead: