Fork seals on 01 426

Has anyone replaced fork seals on there 01 426? Wondering if you have any special tips, and if it is even worth doing yourself? Should I jerk the forks off and take it to the shop to have it done?

Has anyone replaced fork seals on there 01 426? Wondering if you have any special tips, and if it is even worth doing yourself? Should I jerk the forks off and take it to the shop to have it done?

Yes, and yes if you have no knowledge of how to do it....have the shop or tuner show you how to do it - "completely clean" and replace with new fluid

This is courtesy of Ranger450F

With the tubes still in the triple clamps loosen the cap on the top of the fork. Your just loosening it so don’t take it all the way off.

Take fork tubes off of bike.

Unscrew the top cap of the fork tubes and drain the oil; turn the tube back over and the top will slide down exposing the spring and dampening rod contained with in. Look at the top of the spring there is a nut inside that holds the damning rod and spring together. I believe its 14mm you will have to slip a wrench in between the spring rounds to loosen and disconnect this. You are taking off the compression valve assembly.

Take a screw driver or appropriate tool and pry you dust seal down to expose the circlip and remove.

Now you are ready to separate the top from bottom. This is the fun part and much easier if you have a buddy. Push the top and bottom together and forcefully pull them apart. This might take a couple of tugs and it is pretty tight so hang in their you are doing the right thing.

Once separated you can remove the washers and seals from your lower fork legs. Inspect the slide metal “this is the copper looking piece that has Teflon cloth bonded to it” if the Teflon is peeling off or gone replace. Make sure you remember what order each piece comes off and the orientation of each. Also inspect the lower fork leg for scratches or pits. These can be removed with 600-800 wet/dry sandpaper just be gentle and take your time. If you have a dent you will have to buy a new one.

Reassemble the forks with new components TIP: take some plastic wrap from the kitchen and put that over the top of the bottom fork tube this will prevent you from shaving any material from the seals when putting them back on. Also use some fork oil to lubricate the rings and plastic. Make sure you get the stuff on the correct way It sucks to take it all off because you put it on backwards “Done that”

Now slide the top and bottom together. Place a piece of wood on the floor and put the top of the fork tube onto it “flip the forks upside down” Now here is where you $3 fork tube driver comes into play. Extend the bottom fork tube up and place your pvc pipe around it so it presses on the seal washer. No what I did was to use the lower fork tube as the weight to contact the pvc and just drive it into it position in the bottom of the upper fork tube. Basically using it as a slide hammer.

Put the circlip back in and then use some grease to fill in the cavity between the seal and the dust seal which goes on last. Use some good waterproof grease for this I used silkolene but there are many more.

Now you ready to fill the thing with oil. Turn it bake over so everything is collapsed down on the lower fork tube to include the dampening rod and fill with oil. You should your measuring devise handy so you know about how much oil you want it’s easier to add than take away. Now just let them set for a minute or two then with your hand work the dampening rod up and down about 20 times. Let them set fill with oil if needed, as they will drink more as the oil circulates thought the passages. Repeat this about 3 times “your trying to get the air out of the system as you replace it with oil”

This next trick came from my 9 year old to get the exact oil amount. Take a straw and add or take out oil just like you did when you where a kid finger over the top. I used a small venire ruler with a stop on it so I could set the depth. Just repeat this until you get your oil amount right then reassemble the compression valve to the dampening rod and the top cap to the fork tube.

Make sure you re-torque everything to speck and your good

Wondering if you have any special tips

Replace with Honda seals. The Honda fork seals for your 426 cross to a 96-01 CR500. part # 51490-MAC-741.

:banghead:

Thanks for the input guys. Satch thanks for the instructions.

Keep in mind that you need a fork seal driving and a cartridge holding tool or impact tools to do the job. If you dont have these tools, either invest in them or take them to someone.