WR Extreme Makeover (not really)

Before: Setup for desert

After: Setup for MX

Ignition switch relocation:Photo

YZ front number plate:Photo

I laced up some black Excels:Front Rear

I've decided to start riding MX again to try to get in better shape. To make life easier on myself I decided to lighten the bike up. I dented my rims so badly that they had to be replaced.. I removed all the lights,kickstand,steering dampener,handguards and installed my stock tank.

The rear YZ fender bolts up no problem, you just need to cut away some clearance for the coolant reservoir. The front YZ plate goes on well too, since I have an aftermarket topclamp that has a mounting hole for the front number plate it bolted up fine... Most aftermarket topclamps will have the mounting hole since most clamps are made for YZ/WR model bikes.. Even with the stock topclamp you should have no problem mounting the plate to the ODO hole in the center. I looked all around for a place to relocate the ignition switch.. Believe it or not it fits perfectly on the voltage regulator mount, the clearance is close but it clears the fork tubes, I have two days of MX with it this way, no problems. The connector mount behind the headlight needs to be removed and the wires all need to be zip tied together, this gives you all the space you need to install the YZ plate....

With all the enduro stuff removed it sure makes for a fun bike on the track, not the best bike for the track but it'll do considering my level... The only odd thing about the bike on the track is the gappy gear box.. Most of the time you really only need 2nd and 3rd gear depending on the track.

Dan :banghead:

I love that mx setup photo. Your bike looks great set up like that. I also love that lift stand you've got. I hope Santa Clause brings me one of those. :banghead:

Very nice Dan. I think the only thing that would concern me with the black rims is that you would have to be extra careful when changing tires not to scratch them up.

What suspension settings to you use for MX vs Off-road?

Dan

Very nice.Could you tell me what brand/model your stand is.I was looking online over the weekend but can't find them.Thanks

Here ya go Dougie:

http://www.teamhawgracing.com/php/oscommerce/catalog/default.php

What's nice about the stand is, I'm always playing around with different jetting specs, so I'm always tinkering with the carburetor and the stand gets the bike up real high so I don't bend my back as much as if it were on my normal sized center stand. I really makes working on the bike a treat..

Very nice Dan. I think the only thing that would concern me with the black rims is that you would have to be extra careful when changing tires not to scratch them up.

What suspension settings to you use for MX vs Off-road?

Paul, while I was mounting up the tires on the new rims, I duct taped the ends of my tire irons to protect the black anodizing from getting scratched (I know they sell plastic protectors, they're on order).. In my head I was saying to myself "what am I doing?" , this is stupid....? Black doesn't make sense for a desert bike.. But what the heck....... You only live once right? I have two days at the track on them and they still look good... Just wait till I hit the desert, they'll be trashed.... :banghead::busted:

I stiffened up the the suspension just a little bit for mx.... All is good until I come up short... I've been training for "A Day in the Dirt"... It's been fun.. :banghead:

Sweet job Dan! I think my bike only looked that clean and good only the first day I got her. She is now a fully scratched, chaffed, worn and abused bike. ? The western desert riders always seem to have good looking rides! :banghead:

Right on Dan.... Most of the time I'll put on the old plastic for the races so when I get home and change plastic I have a clean bike to look at in my garage.... :banghead: This bike has been on quite a few long distant rides and races... The pressure washer really helps....

• 2 months later...
Sweet job Dan! I think my bike only looked that clean and good only the first day I got her. She is now a fully scratched, chaffed, worn and abused bike. :bonk: The western desert riders always seem to have good looking rides! ?

yeah these 'clean bike' guys always get me singing.

You walked in to the party

like you were walking onto a yacht..........