HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fordskin

Suspension settings for 240 pounds rider

12 posts in this topic

I have 700 klms on my 05 650r and now its time to dial in the suspension. Reading in the small riders manual it just gives a vague idea of what screw does what but does not say how many clicks per weight of rider. I am 240 pounds\108 kilos. I am 40 years old so i dont do a lot of jumping but love to mono and slide the bike. The only negative i find with the bike is when i brake hard mainly on the road the front dives real bad. Has anyone my weight out there dialled in there suspension?

I have to say that i love this bike. You can ride on the road and pop some sneeky wheelies and then jump the kerb and rip up someones earth somewhere. My best friend was going to buy the same bike at the same time but in the end he decided to buy a new firestorm road bike instead. Where i go riding i have to pass his place so i drop in afterwards to let him see the bike all covered in mud. I can see that he probably goes back inside when i go and does this :banghead:

youre about the same weight as me ... you will need to firm up your settings as stiff as they will go, because technically, we need stiffer springs ... supposedly the stock springs are set up from the factory for a 140-pound rider, at least thats how the story goes ... :banghead:

There is some reading just about the XR650R suspension Click Here: :banghead:

The shock has a 9.3kg/mm spring and that is for a 160~170 pound rider, the forks have a .43kg/mm springs and that is for a 170 pound rider. You need 11kg/mm shock spring and .47kg/mm fork springs.

On the adjustments till you get the springs-> (Turn clockwise till the adjustment just stops then count out)

Forks: Rebound (top adjustment) 11 clicks out. Compression (Bottom adjustment under rubber plug) 12 clicks out.

Shock: Compression (top adustment) 12 clicks out, Rebound (bottom adjustment by chain) 11 clicks out.\

The Springs and the forks of the XR650R and the XR650L are nothing a like.

I I'm 190 no gear have 11.rear and .49 front, ride pretty hard,top a Sr d36 for few years,even with the stiffest spring available in the front, rides pretty plush, keeps it up in the stroke were the valving is softer,still takes the big landings good

On the adjustments till you get the springs-> (Turn clockwise till the adjustment just stops then count out)

Forks: Rebound (top adjustment) 11 clicks out. Compression (Bottom adjustment under rubber plug) 12 clicks out.

Shock: Compression (top adustment) 12 clicks out, Rebound (bottom adjustment by chain) 11 clicks out.\

Great info, thank you!

I will be sending my suspenders in to be totally revamped soon, but will try the above setting until then. Could someone help me understand why a heavier rider should run the above settings rather than going all the way in on the compression and rebound? Is this to prevent it from becoming too under-dampened? :excuseme:

There is some reading just about the XR650R suspension Click Here: :excuseme:

You need 11kg/mm shock spring and .47kg/mm fork springs.

And thanks to Mr. Borynack currently adjusting my XR650R for my weight (185lbs vs. previous owners 260 lbs), I will very soon have lightly used Eibach 11kg/mm shock spring and 0.47kg/mm fork springs that need a good home. Contact me offlist if you are interested.

Thanks again Bruce!

Frank

And thanks to Mr. Borynack currently adjusting my XR650R for my weight (185lbs vs. previous owners 260 lbs), I will very soon have lightly used Eibach 11kg/mm shock spring and 0.47kg/mm fork springs that need a good home. Contact me offlist if you are interested.

Thanks again Bruce!

Frank

I am 240 that is the setup I am using. They are working very well. Some one will save them some money there. What are you going to ask for them?

not meaning to hijack, but Bruce I was wondering if you could give me a tip on my suspension:

its riding like shit on the soft sand. I was riding in a dried up creek bed and the front end was pushing really hard.

Soften up compression and stiffen rebound maybe? I know I need to stiffen rebound on my rear to slow down the speed the heavy spring gives it.

Great info, thank you!

I will be sending my suspenders in to be totally revamped soon, but will try the above setting until then. Could someone help me understand why a heavier rider should run the above settings rather than going all the way in on the compression and rebound? Is this to prevent it from becoming too under-dampened? :excuseme:

You can only push so much fluid through a port (Volume) to a point (Rate of flow) and then it will flow less, the more pressure you give it, till it will not flow enough to let the suspension move at all. (Hydraulic) The more flow (air or fluid) the more reverse current (eddies) you make as the flow spins off the edge and sides of the hole/port. Also the shim stack will only bend so far. The adjustment is adjusting a by-pass hole that allows a small amount of fluid to by-pass the valve/shim stack. The shim stack and adjustment screw work together and need each other to work well together. There are many out there that adjust the suspension way to stiff and are hydraulicking. It feels just like you are bottoming out the bike but, you are not, it is just locking up on big quick hits (like square edge hits). Hope this rambling helps.

The spring supports your weight, the shim stack controls the rate at which those springs compress (compression) and release (rebound) the adjustment screws is a percentage bias.

not meaning to hijack, but Bruce I was wondering if you could give me a tip on my suspension:

its riding like shit on the soft sand. I was riding in a dried up creek bed and the front end was pushing really hard.

Soften up compression and stiffen rebound maybe? I know I need to stiffen rebound on my rear to slow down the speed the heavy spring gives it.

What is your setup now? Springs, weight, adjustments (front/back adjusters, rebound, compression, sag , fluid weight, shim stacks)

Are you running 5mm fork raised? Off the back of the seat looking way out or looking down closer to the front tire and closer to the tank? What rear tire?

Lot to ask but, if sand, I have a horrable time in the sand with everything right if I am running a Pirelli MT21 or Dunlop 606 in the sand. I can't direct the front well at all. The rest would be setup or riding style.

What is your setup now? Springs, weight, adjustments (front/back adjusters, rebound, compression, sag , fluid weight, shim stacks)

heh... well, the springs were put in last year, can't remember for sure, but I think they were the .47 front and either the 11 or 12 rear (yeah... I'm a -big- guy). clickers are set to two out from middle on rebound and 3 out on compression for forks and three out for both on rear. Had just started to work on the suspension after getting a revalve done on it, I don't really count how many clicks in or out, just make small adjustments and see how it works. It just seems that no matter how I adjust the forks the front end still doesn't work the way I want it to. Free sag is right on, but I haven't checked the race sag since the revalve.

I'm not really looking for exact numbers, because those aren't the "perfect" setting for each person, one guy might like one more click one way or the other over another depending on the way each person rides. Just wondering what your suggestion would be as to if I should stiffen or loosen things up on rebound and compression.

Are you running 5mm fork raised? Off the back of the seat looking way out or looking down closer to the front tire and closer to the tank? What rear tire?

when I put the forks back in the caliper was at 5.3 something on the left and 5.4ish on the right IIRC. Riding way back on the back (cheeks on the plastic :excuseme: ) looking as far forward as possible due to the twisting and winding of the creek bed. The rear tire is a half worn Desert IT that I haven't swapped out since I got back from Baja a couple months ago, same goes for the front other then its a D739AT. Going to try an MT12 next for front.

Thanks again Bruce!

Frank

TT says your email access is blocked. Sent you private message.

Very interested in your boingers. :excuseme: