wrf or yzf?

i own a 98 wrf 400. i find it awesome but its as heavy as a tank. i never ride at night or need lights but the big tank i like. i was thinking about maybe getting a yzf 250f cuz they are lighter and seem to have enough power. but i have only ridden one and i had a 290 kit. i ride in the hills and out on the coast. so suggestions would be helpful.

If you ride 5th gear on your 400 a lot, you might miss it with a yz.

new YZ's have 5 gears.

You can just change your sprockets to compensate for the lack of wide ratio.

YZ's weigh sooooo much less than the WR's

iam in the same postion yzf or wr??? the wr is 30 ibs heavy but i dont plan to race MX anymore after this last injury just ride hill climb maybe some harescabmles and through oem.thumpertalk you can get them at the same price any more thoughts plz help????

Have you guys faced the issue with YZ timing and it making it hard to ride trails. My 99 YZF 400 just doesn't cruze at an even speed well. It either wants to wind up or slow down. This is OK as long as you are going for it but if you want to take it easy it's a pain. On the flip side, my 99 WR 400 is a tank but is smooth. I have geared the YZ down a little and that helps with hills and such but it still is a wind up machine. The YZ also tends to get hot easier. Is there any solution besides spending 7K on a new wr450? The YZ is so nimble but not fit for all trail situations, especially when I'm riding with slower riders.

Have you guys faced the issue with YZ timing and it making it hard to ride trails. My 99 YZF 400 just doesn't cruze at an even speed well. It either wants to wind up or slow down. This is OK as long as you are going for it but if you want to take it easy it's a pain. On the flip side, my 99 WR 400 is a tank but is smooth. I have geared the YZ down a little and that helps with hills and such but it still is a wind up machine. The YZ also tends to get hot easier. Is there any solution besides spending 7K on a new wr450? The YZ is so nimble but not fit for all trail situations, especially when I'm riding with slower riders.

I added 12oz. to the flywheel on my '98 400 YZ, it helped a lot for trail riding.

wow 7k on a new wr450? my uncle got his 05 for $6300

I have 10 on there already. Would 2 more oz make a big difference?

I went from a 98wr400 to a 04 wr450 just recently and the difference is huge in how much more nimble and lighter the 04 feels. The YZ is tempting though. I would love one of the new 06's if they ever get to the showroom floor.

I have 10 on there already. Would 2 more oz make a big difference?

I didn't know that you had a 10 oz., that should be fine. You could try WR exhaust cam timing if you still have the stock YZ cam.

Where do you ride in oregon?

If the 'hills' are tight single track you will want the WR, or add flywheel weight to the YZ to keep it from stalling, also brake lights can be good if you ride with frineds that follow closely :banghead:

Out on the dunes I would imagine the YZ would be better due to lower weight and lighter flywheel.