What damage will excessive idle do to a XR650L?

Hello,

I am think about buying a 2002 XR650L. It only has 200 miles on it. The only problem is the owner starts it up every week and lets it sit there idling for about a half hour. He doesn't ride it. I am thinking that this could cause some serious problems down the road. Anyone know what kind of damage it will do? Should I keep looking for another bike?

Those engines are bullet-proof.

He could start it up and idle it for a half-hour each week with no oil in it with little affect. :banghead:

No oil idling? I know they are tough engines...but that is a bit excessive in testing "bulletproof" :banghead: J/K

Siting at idle as a break in is not going to wear everything in very effectively. When he finally gets to a point where he rides it, he will have a virgin transmission still, and the rings will probably have not set in very well.

As long as the oil temp stays below 300 degrees, no problems there. If he is "breaking it in" by idling, it could use excessive amounts of oil when you start riding it.

Those engines are bullet-proof.

He could start it up and idle it for a half-hour each week with no oil in it with little affect. :banghead:

I wouldnt be surprised either. The load is causes things to get broken when theres no oil.

Although if he indeed simply idle the thing to break it in, it'll burn oil terminally.

With todays motor oils, you've gotta flog them to seat the ring.

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that the heat would warp the heads or something. Think I am going to pass on it anyway. $1200 more and I can get a new one with a one year warranty. He won't come off the price any more.

I would say the motor is fine and save the 1200. Id buy it.

since Goblin's gonna buy it, you'll need to go buy the new one for $1200 more .. thast the way I'd go :banghead:

since Goblin's gonna buy it, you'll need to go buy the new one for $1200 more .. thast the way I'd go :banghead:

yeah, never buy used unless its like 30% of the original cost or it is virtually new and over half off.