HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WReckless

Can't Touch The Ground Wr 400

21 posts in this topic

I performed the search for former threads on lowering seat height on the wr400. All the posted threads have links that have expired? I tried to link to

a highlighted site on one of the links and it had expired. :banghead:

I am 5'8" 190lbs and have set the sag and have the softest spring installed.

As like all wrs the seat already bruises my arse so seat foam will have to stay as is.ant help would be great, I have to kick start the bike on the kick stand,

and that is not always an option.

thanks WReckless :banghead:

A bunch of guys will comment about setting the sag to lower the bike being a bad idea, so I will just leave that to someone else. I'm 5'6" with maybe a 29" inseam and I bought the Kouba link for my KLX and I love it.

I have heard about notching the sub frame where it attaches to the frame near the footpegs. This is supposed to lower the seat by up to an inch and a half. I haven't tried it my self but that is what I was told. Maybe someone else can shed more light.

Good luck

I'm also short and have a WR 426. I just learned to ride the bike as is, and look for places to put my foot down. Now I did fall over a bit to start because I couldn't easily touch the ground, and unfortunately I still do occasionally. 90% of the time I just find a convienient place to put my feet down and it has become a non-issue. I don't know for sure if its available for you, but Kouba used to have lowering links.

I know you are hesitant, and for good reason, but you may want to consider cutting some foam out of your seat. I too cut about 1.5 inches out of my seat, its not that bad. It has been well worth it, its like a new bike. :banghead: Just a thought.

I would suggest you don't cut or trim anything. You need to get used to the bike. I can only tip toe the ground with both feet on my bikes. And that is on level ground. In the woods or dez your never on level ground. Learn to deal with it. You will become a better rider. Look at RC he is a short dude but still kicks all ass.

You could also look at GUTS racing to see if they have a shorter but soft compound seat foam......

That's what I did on my 02 426 and it worked out great. I ended up with a softer yet lower seat and now I feel like I'm sitting in the bike instead of on it. :banghead:

Just trade it in for a YZ80 :banghead:

I'm sorry I can't relate to the seat height issue, but just lean over to one side when you need to put your foot down :banghead:

I would suggest you don't cut or trim anything. You need to get used to the bike. I can only tip toe the ground with both feet on my bikes. And that is on level ground. In the woods or dez your never on level ground. Learn to deal with it. You will become a better rider. Look at RC he is a short dude but still kicks all ass.

RC has the height of his bikes "adjusted" to fit him better.

I am 7'6 and ride a pw 80.

where can i get a 2 foot foam for my seat to stop my knees and elbows rubbing on the ground.

Should i have my legs below the knees removed or should i get a bike that is the right size for me

would wr 450 rims fit to raise it or should i get a bike that is the right size for me.?

should i get a set of forks from a ktm or should i get a bike that is the right size for me?

could i extend the frame so it is taller or should i get a bike that is the right size for me?

Althogh you are trying to make a good point, they do make these kind of mods for the little 50cc pit bikes. Obviously though, a different bike is going to be a huge drop in power if you are trying to get one that is smaller. Isn't the 250cc the same height? :banghead: In order to get one that is a good height, he would half to go to a YZ125, but then it is a totally different kind of ride all together. There should be something that can be done for the vertically challanged. The guy I bought my bike from was short (thats why he sold it) but he said he is really happy on his 05. You are right though - get something that fits.

where can i get a 2 foot foam for my seat to stop my knees and elbows rubbing on the ground.

Should i have my legs below the knees removed or should i get a bike that is the right size for me

would wr 450 rims fit to raise it or should i get a bike that is the right size for me.?

should i get a set of forks from a ktm or should i get a bike that is the right size for me?

could i extend the frame so it is taller or should i get a bike that is the right size for me?

:banghead: YOU MUST BE ONE OF THOSE UNDER RATED AUSSIE COMEDIANS

I KEEP HEARING ABOUT :lol:

GOOD THING ALL THE REST OF THESE GUYS HAVE BETTER CONSTRUCTIVE

WAYS TO HELP

AS FOR YOUR ISSUE WITH BEING TOO TALL I FOUND A QUICK FIX FOR YOU

PRETTY CHEAP AS WELL ----> :busted:

THANKS TO ALL THAT RESPONDED HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND I'LL BE AT THE YAMAHA DEALER LOOKING FOR KTM FORKS :banghead:

I put highway pegs and a sissy bar on that I got from JC Whitney, now I can stretch out my legs and slide my butt all the way back on the fender without falling off AND Its a real chick magnet and pulls killer wheelies too! :banghead:

Call Dave Lampmann at Full Circle Cycle in Austin texas. He does a mod called active reach. dropped my WR about 1/2 in and made a huge difference. He also rebuilt my shock and forks, and I'm pretty sure he's Race Tech certified. Regardless he's a great suspension tuner. Check out his website for the info.

www.fullcirclecycle.com

good luck

RC has the height of his bikes "adjusted" to fit him better.

Yeah but he still kicks ass. But seriously I am a firm beliver that one should get used to the bike it will only make you a better rider. Now if your maybe 5'4" or less then mabye alter the bike to fit you.

But If your like you say 5'8" and 190lb you really shouldn't do anything to the bike but ride it and get used to the seat height.

I am 5'8" and 175lb. When I was first learning to ride the bike it was a little tough. Now days it's never a problem. You just learn how to handle the bike. You kind of grow into the bike as your skills improve. I used to have to use the kickstand to start the bike but now days I can start the thing on a off camber near a hillside. You will get the balance and starting down with time and experience.

If anything make sure you have the proper rear sag dialed in for your weight.