HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marktt31

poor spark!!!!

4 posts in this topic

Hi

(YZ426- 2002 model)

I have poor starting problems when the bike as been stalled or dropped and also on odd occasions when cold, i know this is common with the 426 but i have to replace the spark plug every few rides because the spark seems very weak and will not start at all but as soon as a new pug is put in BRRRMMMM, it has been fitted with lights for trail riding and i,m not sure what stator is in it (how do i identify it) could it be the original YZ stator or would it have to have been replaced because when i use it at night you have to keep the revs up or the light fades out. Is there a connection here!!! , plus what gap should be between the pick up and the flywheel as it is adjustable and there is no mention in my manual.

Regards Mark

I have shimmed up the cams and recut valves and replaced piston recently but has made no difference to starting when hot.

I really don´t know much in this case because of the ligths, but for sure the plug must work for al least 6/8 month

yeah I had a 00 426 and i would only change the plug once every season. I think you are getting warm on the matter of the stator. I am not a electrician though....Possilbly there is a trouble shooting guide that lets you know how much electricity should be going to that wire...Get the specs on that and see what you get...

I had the same problem. Based on your description of how your lights worked.I'll say you have the 45 watt Electrex stator. It looks similar to stock ,but has a yellow wire.

The one I had burnt out on the ignition side.

Replace it or forget lights and get a stock stator assembly.