YZ light setup (not a re-post)

If you have a head light and tail light on your Yz please PM me with a parts list.....only reply if you are now running lights ..I searched and found every part the stores say I need I just want to hear it from someone that is running lights them self...thank you

electrex coil, moose voltage regulator, wire, light switch, acerbis led taillight, UFO headlight (looks like acerbis DHH twin). works pretty good for occasional night rides if you only wire it to run one headlight bulb at a time.yz426f 2002

I want to use a WR headlight will that setup power that?

If your gonna run the WR headlight call up Steahly offroad and they can get you a wr coil and flywheel for about $300. I think that should put out about 75W. That is what id use if i were going to run a higher power headlight.

I have the electrex coil and it will power up the UFO Twins headlight fine, but I run duel 20 watt bulbs and thats plenty for the amount of night riding I do. If you want to run that WR headlight efficiently, then get the WR stator and flywheel kit and you should be fine. Baja Designs makes a killer 180watt coil but it will run ya around $500 big ones.

I run the WR stator and flywheel, and WR headlight w/ all the attaching hardware (dealer) A Moose Trailsport harness and UFO rear fender w/tailight (Dennis Kirk) The harness is nice, and the new version has previsions for brake switches front and rear- you can get those at DK as well for like $17. I tried the twin headlight and just didnt like the look personally, so I went to the dealer and got the WR peice. It fits and looks great. You should be able to find all the dealer parts on the WR of the same year. The only peice I couldnt find was the lower bracket for the bottom of the headlight, but my dealer hooked me up. Then just run Take off the front fender and run an 8-1.25 tap through the two holes in the bottom clamp that used to hold the bottom of the number plate.

I have a 99 yz400 with the WR426 stator and flywheel on it. I have the Acerbis Blitz headlight w/ 2 50 watt bulbs in it both wired on all the time. I have a UFO ktm tailight modded to fit the yz rear fender. The Wr stator puts out 130 watts or so. Awsome lighting.

The electrex 45w stator is pitiful. I had this 1st and was not happy with it at all. Not to mention that you have to cut your stock stator from the backer plate and mount / wire the new one in its place. I didn't like doing that.

I origionaly didn't think I would need much more than 45w but once I got a tast of night riding I wanted more.

Now I dont think a WR426 stator will work on the WR450. Something about the crank being different. I would think maybe you would need a WR450 stator and flywheel. Electrex would know about that for sure.

My advice is get the most wattage you can afford. You wont be sorry. Even if you have to save up a little $220 (45w) -vs- $300 (130w) is well worth the extra $100 to me.

Take yzmann's advice. I'm currently running the Electrex 45W unit and totally wish I had more. I came across a great deal on the Electrex unit and jumped on it, I should have paid the extra dough for the WR unit.

- Nick

Thank all you guys.. I hate to wast money so I'm going with the WR setup and be happy the first time

Thanks again

Craig

Great info this should be a "Sticky"

So, the WR stator and flywheel drops straight in with no nods? Is the stock cable harness the best and cleanest/simplest option?

Also, where can you connect grip heaters? Is there a difference in output between the 03-04 or 05 WR generators or are they all the same part numbers?

Man, it's pitch black here after getting home from work and freezing temps are just around the corner. :banghead:

Being able to ride in the dark would be a life saver.

Later

So, the WR stator and flywheel drops straight in with no nods? Is the stock cable harness the best and cleanest/simplest option?

Also, where can you connect grip heaters? Is there a difference in output between the 03-04 or 05 WR generators or are they all the same part numbers?

Man, it's pitch black here after getting home from work and freezing temps are just around the corner. :banghead:

Being able to ride in the dark would be a life saver.

Later

I dont know about the yz/wr 450 stators being interchangable.

I know the yz/wr426/400 are interchangable. The wr426 stator just needs you to float the ground to be compatable with the yz cdi. electrex has a pdf file in there archives section that tells you how to do that. Or they may do it for you if you buy it from them and tell them what you are doing with it.

I would suggest calling www.electrexusa.com they know all about what you will need.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

To wire it all is very simple or very hard depending on what you want to do. To just get lights its super simple.

The stator has an extra yellow wire that your stock stator dont have. Thats power. Run that to one of the leads on the headlight. Run the other lead from the headlight to ground. I used the coil mount for my grounding point.

Then you also need a voltage regulator. They are like $25. there is 2 wires on it. One ties into that ground wire that you just ran to the coil. The other wire "T's" into the yellow power wire that runs outta the stator to the headlight. The voltage regulator bleads off extra power to ground. Without that you will blow bulbs out like crazy.

If you want a tailight T into that power wire and ground wire and hook up a tailight. Want a brake light? Get a hydraulic brake pressure switch and install that in place of your master cylinder banjo bolt. Wire it into the tailight and there is the brake light.

You want grip heaters? Wire them in same as the tailight but include a toggle switch in there. Its not that hard really. You just got to be careful how you route the wires on the throttle side so they dont break off the heater element from the constant twisting of the throttle. Mine broke off. Also you need to insulate the heater element on the clutch side from the aluminum bar. The bar acts as a heat sink and draws the heat away from your hand. The throttle side works fine because of the throttle tube. Its just the clutch side. A few wraps of black tape or some shrink tubing on the bar under the heater element will do the trick to insulate it from the bar.

I would suggest a bajadesigns LED tailight. They are about $50. A little pricy but very cool. I think Acerbis makes one also that is led. Led for the tailight is definately the way to go as they draw next to no wattage and are very bright.

I have a Acerbis Blitz headlight. It works pretty good for me.

Plus's are it has halogen bulbs. The bulbs are MR-16 bulbs that you can get at any home improvement store. They are just low voltage home lighting bulbs.

Minuses are the wires that come with the blitz suck. Mine broke. I bought replacement wires from a home lighting store for 1/4 what Acerbis wanted and they are way more durable. Definately upgrade the wires right from the get go.

I called Acerbis and they said that the housing is rated to take up to a 50w bulb. So I have 2 50watt bulbs in mine both wired on all the time. It is plenty bright.

good info!

Really good info!

THX! :banghead: