Yet Another Tire Thread (YATT)

OK, sorry about starting yet another tire thread, but I used the search and did not find much info on a question I have, so bear with me... :banghead:

With many seeming to get moist, warm, and runny over the Tera-Flex, what is the consensus on a decent front tire to run with such a large-carcassed rear?

Looking for input on a "do-all" setup (street/trail/mud/sand/hardpack/rock), and

am interested in the TF rear, possibly, and looking for a good balance for the front.

Also, any input on other brands/models appreciated, too.

(I have Kenda TM's on the 250R, they seem OK so far. Looking to add meat to the 650.)

MT21 front is good if you run more on the harder surfaces, MT18HD if you're more on the soft.

D

OK, sorry about starting yet another tire thread, but I used the search and did not find much info on a question I have, so bear with me... :banghead:

With many seeming to get moist, warm, and runny over the Tera-Flex, what is the consensus on a decent front tire to run with such a large-carcassed rear?

Looking for input on a "do-all" setup (street/trail/mud/sand/hardpack/rock), and

am interested in the TF rear, possibly, and looking for a good balance for the front.

Also, any input on other brands/models appreciated, too.

(I have Kenda TM's on the 250R, they seem OK so far. Looking to add meat to the 650.)

I have tried the D606, Michelin Baja and desert, and a Pirelli mt21 I think. And none made a good combo for the TF rear. I love the tire, but it has way to much grip and washed out every front I have tried with it. Of course I have not tried non DOT fronts yet, there should be one that will match the TF for dirt riding at least.

I've all ways thought a 20" would be good to try,so much fatter,ran them on a cr'250 and cr450f with good results, all tho no DOT tire's in a 20"

I have tried the D606, Michelin Baja and desert, and a Pirelli mt21 I think. And none made a good combo for the TF rear. I love the tire, but it has way to much grip and washed out every front I have tried with it. Of course I have not tried non DOT fronts yet, there should be one that will match the TF for dirt riding at least.

I have have the dreaded front "washing out on me also, unfortunately it is not a prob. of the tires being miss matched as this is an inherent trait of this bike. I have ridden several bikes with the same tires as on my L on the same surface and don't find the others to be as front heavy. I also have done some serious mods to the susp. which have helped a lot but don't cure!

Travis

I have have the dreaded front "washing out on me also, unfortunately it is not a prob. of the tires being miss matched as this is an inherent trait of this bike. I have ridden several bikes with the same tires as on my L on the same surface and don't find the others to be as front heavy. I also have done some serious mods to the susp. which have helped a lot but don't cure!

Travis

Perhaps the 650L's tendency to wash out the front end is just a function of its relatively heavy weight; an inertia thing...once it's going in a certain direction, the excess weight tends to retain that direction vs changing direction. The tire's contact patch, especially on the front is pretty small for the weight of the bike.

I am betting you are right on with this being an inherent trait.

But I can deal with this tendency....am just looking for a decent match for the front rim if a Tera-Flex was on the rear. Or a good front/rear combo for trail and some street.

I have the Maxxis HT 120/100/18 in the rear and am putting the MAXXIS HT on the front this week. The Maxxis is great, I had the D- 606 initially, crap....... too soft, only installed it to get through the DMV. Rockymountainatv.com is great for pricing fast shipping too. :banghead: