Yz 426?

My neighbor has a 2001 YZ426 that he is going to trade on a street bike in the next few days. The bike has hardly ever been ridden.

I'm wondering how these bikes work for the following (I'm in CO):

- Enduro/HS racing

- Trail riding

- Dual Sport conversion.

How about reliability or common problems?

Thanks for any info, I wasn't planning on purchasing a bike this old but the price is really low (I wanted an '06 something for next season).

Thanks.

find a wr...

Buy it. A 426 makes a great all around bike. I trail ride mine exclusively in both the desert and forests. The last ride I was on was up in the forest on great technical single track and of the five bikes, three were YZF's, one was a RMZ, and one was a WR450. The WR rider wasn't so sure that he had the best bike for the conditions as his was the heaviest. I have made some mods to my bike to make it even better as a trail bike but I am certain that I don't want a WR.

If it's a good deal I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick up a 426 in good shape. The 426 is an extremely versatile bike. It can easily work for HS, trails and dual sport. In fact, the 426's versatility is one of it's best traits. One of it's other good traits is it's reliability. All of the Yamaha thumpers, including the 426, are easily the most reliable of all the high performance thumpers. The '01 and the '02 are the best years for the 426. Yamaha pretty well had all the bugs worked out by then, so there really aren't any major snafu's to worry about.

By the way, where you at in Colorado. I used to live in Fort Collins. Used to ride Berthoud, Miliken and a lot of the local trails there all the time.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to try and get a ride on the bike this week to see how it feels to me. I'll make my decision after that.

By the way, where you at in Colorado. I used to live in Fort Collins. Used to ride Berthoud, Miliken and a lot of the local trails there all the time.

I'm in Littleton CO, my woman went to CSU so I used to spend a lot of time up there. I drove through MT earlier this year on my way to AK, I'm sure there is some awesome riding in MT.