HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skwerlee

too much oil

8 posts in this topic

i just did an oil & filter change on my 2000 yz426f...my buddy that i bought the bike from told me it holds two quarts, so thats how much i added. According to what I've read here it seems i may have added too much oil. will this damage anything? I've only ran it for a couple of minutes just to cycle the oil to check the level. any input would be appreciated.

way too much, try 1.2quarts with oil filter. And yes it does do something, ever heard of rings going bad? this would be one of the reasons why. plus it puts strain on certain parts too.

At that amount of oil, a 426 will start forcing the excess back into the engine through the line that balances pressure between the tank and the cam box. It would be best to drain off 250cc or so at the frame drain plug. Bear in mind, it won't take long.

yeah i figured i would need to drain it so that it's at the correct level. i just want to know if running it easily for the 3 or 4 minutes that i allready did is enough to cause damage?

At that amount of oil, a 426 will start forcing the excess back into the engine through the line that balances pressure between the tank and the cam box. It would be best to drain off 250cc or so at the frame drain plug. Bear in mind, it won't take long.

Also it will increase the pressure in the lower half of the engine, thus forcing oil past the oil seals , making a fine mess

Make bad rings? no .it will carbon up your top end real quick

OK I'm going from memory here.. 1.5L without filter change, 1.6L with filter change on the 426. At 2-qt you're over filled, but not by a huge amount. I wouldn't ride the track with that much oil, but you didn't hurt anything running it for a few minutes.