HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zapp22

where does that whiff of antifreeze come from?

7 posts in this topic

gang

01 BRP. .. where does the smell of antifreeze come from? I"m not losing much... takes a long time to hit a point where I need to add... no obvious drip, but I always smell it.

This is the ONLY thing the BRP has in common with my little DRZ400E....[well, and they both have two laced wheels]

thx

z

If your bike is not uncorked, it is going to run hot.

It takes very little coolant overflow to make a big stink. It probably goes into your overflow tank, whiff, and then gets sucked back into the rads when the bike cools.

:banghead:

There is a dye you can buy from the auto parts store, leaks show up under a black light. It would certainly be worth a try if you can't find the cause by wetness or residue build up.

I suppose you have dealt with the obvious. Tightened all your hose clamps made sure the thermostat housing isn't leaking and installed a 1.6 or 1.8 radiator cap. Kawasaki makes the 1.6 radiator caps for the KX500 as an option and they fit the XR650R perfectly. Don't even keep that worthless 1.1 stock cap.