Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blooozboy

synth or semi

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

Well what is he verdict for a WR 426 2002 I am using good quality Semi synth engine oil but should I be using Fully synth I do not ride hard but obviously want what is best for the motor,Your oppinions would be appreciated.

With religious changing, you'll see no noticeable difference unless you break out your electron microscope and measure the wear in angstroms...SC

I run rotilla full synth. Good quality, range, and it's about $13 a gallon :banghead:

I run rotilla full synth. Good quality, range, and it's about $13 a gallon :banghead:

Same here - the SHell Rotella T is engineered for ultra high compression turbo'd diesel applications- very very heat and breakdown resistant. It is all I will run in my 20 psi 3 hp per ci turbo car as well. :banghead:

Great, another oil thread. Well then, since we're on the topic, is straight weight oil less susceptible to breakdown than multi weight oil? A post by grayracer suggests that the additives that make a multi weight oil break down very quickly in a wet clutch application. He seems to have the answers, but declines to divulge his choice (unless I missed something).

The way I look at it if Yamaha thought you could safely run full synth in their bikes they would sell their own brand. I run semi now after I broke the bike in. From what I have read some people run full synth with no problems, the choice is up to you.

is it 15w40 or 15w50?

I switched from multi-weight to semi-synth because my clutch was coming out of adjustment on long slow continuous uphill climbs or boulder fields. I think its helping, but the clutch adjust still changes when worked hard.

is it 15w40 or 15w50?

I'd have to look at the bottle but if memory serves it's 5w40

5w40 is too thin for me!

I have to use 15w50 because it is about constant 90's here with 100% humidity all the time.

I use Motul semi synthetic 5100 bucause it costs me $50 Australian for 4 litres instead of $100 Australian for the fully synthetic.

I cannot justify the extra $50 when I have to look after 2 WR's and change the oil every 500 kms.

Hey CLARK4131, will my SEM work?? Or do I need to get me a TEM??

Call up Lawrence-Livermore or JPL, they'll know for sure :banghead: ...SC

I ordered a couple synthetic castrols to try out. Right now I run the $3 maxima premium or castrol $3 stuff. Is there any difference between this $3 stuff and the pennzoil from shucks?