HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AdamW

Creeky forks?

6 posts in this topic

After a recent fork rebuild by a local technician, I seem to have a "creeky" sound coming from the forks while compressing them. I kind of sounds like a creeky bed spring. I usually expect to hear only the whooshing of oil/air compressing. Is something wrong? Anyone else experience this?

probably just dry fork springs.

When you ride it around a bit, it should go away.

-T

could be a fork seal, but...if it sounds like a spring on metal (mattress springs)...then it's just the springs being dry.

Do a couple of double jumps, then a triple. DO NOT jump more than 3 buses at a time until you know the noise has gone away. :banghead::banghead:

Do you have the stock fork boots or aftermarket motocross style fork shield. The scotts shields (like they used to sell with the fork brace) will squeak in a similar manner to what you describe. WD40 will fix them.

I hate to ask, but what bike are we talking about?

I would guess the spring will eventually seat itself and the creeking will go away.