Kritter's footpeg fix

I have been hesitant about buying your fix just because I will be under warranty for 2 more years. I have been riding the XR650R since 2000. On my second bike but never broke the peg. I like your fix and and don't believe in pushing my luck.

I have a rather thick skid plate on my bike and I was wondering if you ever considered slightly changing your design so it had an L shaped leg that rested flush on a aluminum skid plate. A hole drilled through the L and the skid plate and then bolted to the skid plate. Do you follow what I am saying? Maybe design it just a bit above the skid plate so that it would have some tension on it when the bolt was tightened.

Just a thought but maybe a stupid thought. I am not an engineer.

I modeled one up and posted a picture of it for you in the last thread you talked about that set up...I never heard back.

Kritter's fix is the way to go.

If the dealer tries to be a jackass about it, just ask him if he would be willing to pay your medical bills after the bolts shear and you go tumblind down the trail at speed.

I modeled one up and posted a picture of it for you in the last thread you talked about that set up...I never heard back.

Kritter are you addressing me with this? If so I was unaware that you had designed one to bolt to the skid plate. Do you still have the picture? It would be nice to have security without drilling the frame.

Kritter, could you post the link to your footpeg fix or is it the AHD one? :ride:

I would like to modify mine for safety as well. I weigh 240. Looking at the Kritter fix picture its hard to see what it looks like behind the frame. I can weld something up myself. Care to enlighten?

The second time i rode my 650R i noticed the foot peg bolts were loose. And that the bolt holes are Over sized. Seems to me thats the problem.. I just ordered a set of shims from McMaster-Carr to take up the space. Put some Anti-Seize on the threads and torque to spec. That was over 2 years ago. I'm 6-5 and 320lb. I live in Southern California (Whoop capital of the world) and the bolts have yet to come loose.

Finsihedjob.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked before.. But is the bad right footpeg problem only found on the XR650R? -Not the L or older 600?

Thanks,

Chip

Sorry if this has been asked before.. But is the bad right footpeg problem only found on the XR650R? -Not the L or older 600?

Thanks,

Chip

Chip, it's only an issue with the 650R, some of which is due to the differences in metals used (steel peg bracket clamped to an aluminum frame). Aluminum has a modulus (stiffness) that's about 1/3 that of steel and aluminum has a thermal expansion rate that's about twice that of steel. These can be contributing factors as to why the peg bolts loosen up and or break off where as the XR600 and 650L have steel pegs clamped to a steel frame.

Excellent, Thank you, Gadsan.

Chip

Thanks for the pic Needsprayer

You're welcome Fordskin.