Rode my buddy's 06 CRF450

Well I rode my pals 06 CRF450 this wend. :banghead: Its fun bike and the power is good but I was expecting to be able to ride like a pro. At least from what the magazines say. It didn't happen :banghead:

The aluminum frame felt way stiff for me and the bike just felt tall. Its probably not a fair comparison since just about all the foam is cut out of my 04 YZ450 seat and I lowered my subframe.

The CRF does have a smaller feel to it between your legs and especially when you are lookin over the bars. Honestly I was expecting a works bike from the way all the mags hype it up. Its fun but I didnt click with it like I thought I would. I like having that big hit and power, I'm not a finesse/smooth rider so the CRF characteristics kinda fell flat for me there. I like my 04 YZ way better but its not a fair comparison since its set up for me and Enzo just did the suspension. I was expecting alot more from the CRF. Out of the box it is a fun bike with good power but doesnt fit my riding style. I am a crappy rider though :lol:

Pssss, hey buddy' I've got news for you, the 04 Yamaha is TALLER and SLOWER. If you're a crappy rider, that should be in the first sentence. Thanks for the comparison, though.

Pssss, hey buddy' I've got news for you, the 04 Yamaha is TALLER and SLOWER. If you're a crappy rider, that should be in the first sentence. Thanks for the comparison, though.

..... dont be a jerk.

oo and i agree dunecj2a the bike is overated.

they always over rate the honda's....its life i guess....

I have ridden both also...and the honda is a really nice bike. But my problem is that I am use to the ergonomics of the yamaha....it fits me better. The Honda took me a while to get used to the feel of the bike ... now in fairness, I could get used to it over time and at one time was going to buy one. The 06 CRF is more refined than my 03....power wise, not more power just a more linear powerband. I am also a total advocate for the 4speed tranny it just rocks period! I also noticed that the 06 crf clutch when hot slips (maybe just on the particular bike I was on but after 4 rides on a new bike - that bothered me) and I do not use the clutch on my 03 very much at all! The 06 CRF Stock Suspension doesn't hold a candle to my 03 Enzo subtank set/shock though and that is why it felt weird.

So at first I decided to wait to see what every 06 450 is like - I want to ride the suzuk, the kawi ..... but I could not wait any longer. I have ordered a 06 Yami....I am sold on a history of reliability, less maintenance and hopefully lower TCO than the rest of them. But honestly folks all kidding, bashing, positive and/or negative critisizm aside any of these 06's will be a sweet bike. The 06's will be the best technology that any of us have had to buy from! (coming from a guy who started riding in 1970) and I am sure, I as well as you, that I would get used to any of them.....and who knows who cares which one is the faster one....does that really matter anyway anymore.......it is which one I can stay on the longest :banghead:

I have ridden both also...and the honda is a really nice bike. But my problem is that I am use to the ergonomics of the yamaha:

Ditto... Keep us posted on your 06.

WOW!!!!!! My deepest apologies johntt4 if I offended you. :lol: If you paid attention to the post I said it probably isnt a fair comparison since my bike is set up for me. Hardly any seat foam and cut sub frame, so my 04 is shorter than a stock 06. I am also very sorry for not starting my post as being a crappy rider. Please forgive me :banghead:

I was just givin my opinion as an average joe spinin laps on a new 06. From all the mag reviews for the past 3 years I was expecting more...I'm sure if I had another week on it then I could put together a perfect season :banghead:

Its funny.

When the first 02 CRF450 came out, I was riding a KTM520SX at the time.

My first test ride on the Honda, I thought it was horrible. didnt like the low, flat and wide feel. Even the power did nothing for me. Handlebars were way to low.

Friend of mine bought one and set it up properly. What a difference, convinced me to buy one. Something as simple as properly set up controls for a tall rider was all it took.

Had mine for a 1.5 year period and loved it. I then went the WR450 route. Bike fitted me like a glove from day one. Now I've recently switched back to a Honda 450X and am having to reacclimatise once more to its ergonomics, set up and feel.

In 03 I bought the crf450. I rode the yzf450 and hated it he rode mine and thought it was OK. we sent our suspensions out and got them back. He ia a Pro I am a B rider. We switched again but at this time we changed the ergos to fit ourselves and tweeks other stuff not like the first time both right from the dealer. I loved the YZF especially the suspension. I rode his better than mine 10 seconds after I took off!! He hated his and liked mine. I begged him to swap he said no. I spent more time on mine and got to love it. he did the same but never got on par. He went back to the YZ250 03-05 and now may get the 06 450. I went to the crf250 and will get a 450 in 06 too. He wants the Yammi and I want the Honda Here we go again!

I have ridden both also...and the honda is a really nice bike. But my problem is that I am use to the ergonomics of the yamaha....it fits me better. The Honda took me a while to get used to the feel of the bike ... now in fairness, I could get used to it over time and at one time was going to buy one. The 06 CRF is more refined than my 03....power wise, not more power just a more linear powerband. I am also a total advocate for the 4speed tranny it just rocks period! I also noticed that the 06 crf clutch when hot slips (maybe just on the particular bike I was on but after 4 rides on a new bike - that bothered me) and I do not use the clutch on my 03 very much at all! The 06 CRF Stock Suspension doesn't hold a candle to my 03 Enzo subtank set/shock though and that is why it felt weird.

So at first I decided to wait to see what every 06 450 is like - I want to ride the suzuk, the kawi ..... but I could not wait any longer. I have ordered a 06 Yami....I am sold on a history of reliability, less maintenance and hopefully lower TCO than the rest of them. But honestly folks all kidding, bashing, positive and/or negative critisizm aside any of these 06's will be a sweet bike. The 06's will be the best technology that any of us have had to buy from! (coming from a guy who started riding in 1970) and I am sure, I as well as you, that I would get used to any of them.....and who knows who cares which one is the faster one....does that really matter anyway anymore.......it is which one I can stay on the longest :banghead:

David

I'm still not use to the 05 CRF.............I'll be selling it soon.

David

I'm still not use to the 05 CRF.............I'll be selling it soon.

Just curious - what is your experience and why have you not gotten use to it?

Are you getting a 06? What kind?

they always over rate the honda's....its life i guess....

They overrate them because they are the "best looking".

i have switched from having a yami wr250f to now having 06 crf450r and the differance in the two is like chalk and cheese,the crf took two rides for my boots to stop hitting the cases because the motor is a little bit wider,but it drops into corners easier the suspention feels better and so do the brakes

David

I believe the worst of my problem was not having the suspension re-worked. All my bikes I have re-worked the sus. I left the Honda alone, due to most Mags saying there good stock even for some heavier riders like myself (#220). I never got it dialed in. All Rags, said it turns like a dream.................I thought I'd throw the leg on it and ride like I did 25 years ago............ :banghead: wrong :banghead: . All the hype, it's still 90% rider, 10% bike............ Nice bike, but so is my 03 450F (after all the mods) and 02 250F bone stock was the best ride I ever rode. The Honda's for sale and so is the 02 & 03. I'll be getting an 06 YZ 250F and either an 06 450 YZ or RM.

I'm sure if I spent $600 on a suspension job, the Honda would be perfect. But not everyone is Honda rider............

IMO with a little $$$$ every bike will kick azzzzz