Desert riders, whats you gearing?

I'm a little too short out in the dez my current 14/50 setup. 5th now feels like 4th used to before my rebuild.

What are the rest of you running?

15/48 on my 04 450.

Either 15/50 or 14/47 for 426. Gives you about 75 mph in the meat of the power.

15/47

It flat RIPS.................

PS, I'm old and race MX.........I don't shift........2nd gear....... :banghead:

maybe every 3rd or 4th race track I might get 3rd gear.......

15/47 it is. Hope it shows up before all the water absorbs into the desert.....

Thx.

Either 15/50 or 14/47 for 426. Gives you about 75 mph in the meat of the power.

OK so here's the actual speed of a (YZ) 426 with 14/47 gearing. Thanks to my newly installed super accurate and verified specialized ODO, the above statement is due a revision/correction. The actual real world honest measured speed is 65.8 mph pretty much topped out "in the meat" of the power. Probably about 70-75 or so on the rev limiter.

15/49 on the 450. Close to 90 flat out on pavement, but 70 mph is still very "buzzy" at close to 9000 rpm. Works good in most places, though.

I was running 15/47 on my 03-450. A buddy of mine bought her, he rides desert, says thats the FASTEST bike he's ever ridden..........

14/47 was still a little short on my 426 (@444cc). I wanted to go 15/48, but since I've moved to Oregon I guess I wont have the chance. Back to 14/50 for me.

A buddy of mine bought her, he rides desert, says thats the FASTEST bike he's ever ridden..........
There's a good chance that it really is, don't you think?
There's a good chance that it really is, don't you think?

my guess would be 90ish.............. :thumbsup:

funny part is, that was my MX gearing, it removed the hit, plus let me race all day in 2nd gear............. :thumbsup:

I've been running a 15/44 in my yz400. It pulls real good in all gears. Not sure of the top speed, all I know is that the ground goes bye real fast wide open in 5th.

Yz 400

CR 500

Big eggs