HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
timothypg

86 xr600r

10 posts in this topic

I've got a 86 xr600r. has been idle for 6 yrs. less than 5000 mi. or so. i had it in az. for the desert, now i'am in wi. i have been getting it back in shape and have it licensed. it still has all kinds of power. dual 28mm carbs. i opened up the air box, had it re-jetted . wraped the headers to keep it a little cooler and took out the arrestor. aside from that it is stock. i plan on keeping this bike forever and ever, something fun to work on. the next thing i would like is exhuast, any suggestions? eventually i would like to bore it maybe even high comp. piston. but i almost go flying when it kicks back as it is, i only weigh 150 lbs. it scares me to think how it would be with engine mods. any suggestions? :banghead:

Getting pipes for these older XR's getting tough. Ive only found one place that even entertained it without having to give them the bike. XR'sOnly can get it done.

They'll do a full motor for you too, big 630 kits and kinds of stuff...

Id like to be able to ditch the dual carbs but I cant see how a single carb manifold would work in the stock frame, even if you figured out the air box boot. One runner would have to be way longer than the other. If anyone has any insight to this, Im all ears...

Getting pipes for these older XR's getting tough. Ive only found one place that even entertained it without having to give them the bike. XR'sOnly can get it done.

They'll do a full motor for you too, big 630 kits and kinds of stuff...

Id like to be able to ditch the dual carbs but I cant see how a single carb manifold would work in the stock frame, even if you figured out the air box boot. One runner would have to be way longer than the other. If anyone has any insight to this, Im all ears...

Go to online parts microfiche and check it out to get an idea how Honda did it.

I would keep the dual carbs, get them working right and enjoy their benefits. There is no real advantage with the single carb except it is easier to remove and rejet. The single carb isn't perfect, it has a DODGY choke butterfly that should be scrapped as a rule, and a sticky throttle action from fully closed for which there is no known cure.

IF I was to swap the carb, I would put a CV or the stock style single. Id put an FCR-mx on there for two reasons.

I can get them off ebay pretty easily

And I know them like the back of my hand...

I've got the carbs working about as good as can be. would love to have pumpers but that would cost a pretty good amount of cha-ching, that is if i could get them synchronized and all that. for exhaust xr's only has one, w/b e2,fmf titanium 4, pro circuit t-4 do you think that one of these stands out from the rest? i don't mean to have you guy's do my shopping for me, but if you have an opinion on any of the mod's i would like to do i would like to hear them. thanks

Yer trippin. CV Carbs are junk

Not trippin, full on typeO

Should say wouldnt, not would... :banghead:

i had the shop re-jet the carbs up one size, clean the carbs and stuff. it ran great. or so i thought. i went and got the next size up, 125. put them in. NOW it runs great. the air/fuel is still only open a little less than one turn. maybe even bigger jets? how big do you think i dare go. :banghead: