wheelie then oil smell.

Rode a decently long wheelie on my 650L the other day when I sit it down I caught a quick smell of burnt oil. Only for a second and never since, oil level is fine no smoke ect. What causes this?

Are you sure it wasnt tire smoke when you set the front wheel down?

Id pull my old 83' XL600 up from 1rst to 2nd and carry it clear through 5th sometimes to 80 mph or so...(down the freeway no less, Amazing what a 20 year old thinks nothing of :banghead: )

But the front wheel would be dead stopped and smoke pretty good when I'd set it down. (Not to mention the bark and or momentary headshake :banghead: )

You could be getting a puff of oil smoke because of a lack of scavenging in the bottom end because of the angle of the wheelie too, and when you put it down it'll splash the excess up on the cylinder wall and give it a puff for a second or two...I doubt youve hurt it at all

no wasnt the tire, I used to do that on the R1 but not the XR. I figure your right on the angle of engine theory. thanks

I bet your crankcase gearbox vent dumped a lil oil in the airbox while it was traveling perpendicular to its line of travel.

Have you checked to see if it is clean?

I bet your crankcase gearbox vent dumped a lil oil in the airbox while it was traveling perpendicular to its line of travel.

Have you checked to see if it is clean?

I bet you are right on the money on this one. The engine was not designed to run with the front pointing up!!! I get this on long wheelies as well, the longer the wheelie the more noticeable.

I bet you are right on the money on this one. The engine was not designed to run with the front pointing up!!! I get this on long wheelies as well, the longer the wheelie the more noticeable.

Right on the money just went to garage and checked it had a small amount in it. Thanks guys I can sleep better tonight. :banghead:

:banghead: what if you were on a steep up hill for a long period of time ,wouldnt that be the same?
:banghead: what if you were on a steep up hill for a long period of time ,wouldnt that be the same?

That would have to be one hell of a long very steep hill. Balance point on the L is high, so the hill would be almost unclimbable... well for me anyway :banghead:

Thats right, I have climbed a few AMA national hillclimbs that arent that angle.

anyway Thanks agian guys.