HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yz400 freak

yz400 clutch issue, plz help!

5 posts in this topic

Recently my clutch started acting all weird, i was riding it just like always (med-hard riding) on a local track when i started hearing a ticking noise... later when i took the bike to get checked out i found that peices of my clutch rings were flopping around in the basket...odd huh? i also found that my cam chain was off timing, and also thrashed

after being fixed it seemed to run fine, but now i have noticed something odd.

whenever i ride hard for mabey....20-30 minutes, the clutch seems to bind or sumthing. this only happens when going from a dead stop. it makes a slipping sound and tries to die on me unless i give it enough juice and a good amount of clutch feathering.

WILL SOMEONE HELP ME????

any help on this matter would be greatly appriciated...

I’ve shattered a few fiber clutch plates. I think the cause was the tabs on the plates hanging up in notches on the basket fingers. The first time it happened I just replaced the plates and shattered a few more within a couple of days. I filed the basket fingers smooth a couple of times and this temporarily cured the problem. I have a Hinson clutch basket now with no signs of notching yet. You may have cracked another plate if your basket is notched.

The timing chain issue is probably unrelated and simply a maintenance issue.

^ What he said. You wont be happy with the results if you just leave the timing chain.

I agree w/ Frostbite, it sounds like your clutch basket is notched.

And I third the new cam chain idea, only about 25 bucks I think.