Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xrmoto

best performance mods xr650r

10 posts in this topic

From the vast knowledge and experience what are the best and worthwhile performance mods you can do to the 650r to increase performance.

any advice please.

www.xr650r.net go to the left hand side of the site and click on "making the xr650 run right (uncorking)" and alot of us like the Edelbrock carb. Makes the bike easier to start when flooded and better throttle response. I put on Pro Tapers, skid plate and 13/50 gearing.

Uncorking first.

Suspension second.

Gearing and tires.

Then leave it alone, aside from added protection.

Try using the search feature. Type in 650R and Cam or performance mods and you should come up with numerous threads on this. Lots of guys will shed their opinion here too. Personally the 650R is plenty for me, uncorked. Looking for more means digging into the motor and destroying the real reason I ride an XR, 'reliability'.

what about a cam and exhaust? ????

a good exhaust line,airbox mod + aftermarket filter and a pumpercarb(Mikuni TM40,tmr or Keihin FCR or others) =

:banghead:

Try using the search feature. Type in 650R and Cam or performance mods and you should come up with numerous threads on this. Lots of guys will shed their opinion here too. Personally the 650R is plenty for me, uncorked. Looking for more means digging into the motor and destroying the real reason I ride an XR, 'reliability'.

The bike is not close to the top power it was designed to put out. The cam is mild to allow it to be sold in California as a green sticker bike. Adding a Pumper carburetor a cam with longer duration (like the HRC Cam that was designed to come with the bike) and more flow in and out of the engine will not take away from the "Reliability" of this bike. With more power someones riding "Style" might allow them to ride the bike harder and put more strain on the engine but, that is not the samething. I will get the same "wear" out of my 680cc XR as a Uncorked XR but, I'll get it there faster because I am riding harder, faster, rougher = able to do more. Some don't want balls to the walls bike, just a good trail bike, wanting to milk out as much life time as possible, that is cool but, some want to ride at the edge and repair the wear for more grins. :banghead:

Call XRs Only and talk with Chris Blais, he will make your bike rip like he did Campbells and does Childress'.