HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
glabudde

DOT Tire Recomendation

6 posts in this topic

Any thoughts to a DOT approved rear tire? Go about 80% offroad, 20% on road. Neighbor likes Dunlap 600 (?) Have an xr400r that is desperate need of treads and a 650r that is gonna need something soon. Is this something I can change out myself, noticed the Honda dealer sold tire irons, and if so any tools better than others?

Thanks in advance.

This has been done to death, use the search feature.

To get you started, check out the larger pirelli MT21, and of course the teraflex.

The newer t-flex (made in china) is not as good as the older 'flex (made in the USA) but is still worth considering.

Terrain and how minimal the street performance can be usually dictate the choice. Especially if wet pavement is a consideration.

Dave

I ran a Metzler Karoo on the rear and front for over a year on my old XR650R(street legal) and it held up like you could not imagine ... I will by one soon for my DRZ.

Any thoughts to a DOT approved rear tire? Go about 80% offroad, 20% on road. Neighbor likes Dunlap 600 (?) Have an xr400r that is desperate need of treads and a 650r that is gonna need something soon. Is this something I can change out myself, noticed the Honda dealer sold tire irons, and if so any tools better than others?

Thanks in advance.

I like the Kenda Trackmaster II's.

35510336-L.jpg

As far as tire irons go. Talk to your Honda mechanic. See what he uses. In reality though, tire irons are just a small part of the tools you should be carrying with you when you are out in the back 40.

37014031-L.jpg

Because you never know when your tires might let you down.

39791650-L.jpg

39791655-L.jpg

I have a Pirelli mt-21 on my bike . Its holding up good on the road but, it gives up quick off road ,to quick in fact for me to ever get another one. I will give up some wear for more grip offroad ,next time. jmo