Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pincushion

Will a 3/8 torque wrench fit to tighten my cam caps?

9 posts in this topic

I went to four stores looking for a 1/4 torque wrench and nada'!!!! Will a 3/8 fit? Beam or clicker type?

Why no 1/4", what gives?

3/8" generaly go down to the required settings. You need a 1/4". Try a tool salesman (snap on, etc.) or have an autoparts store order one for you. You'll never find this at Lowe's, Home Depot, Ect.

my snap on 3/8ths drive goes down to50 inch pounds!Granted it cost enough that it should do that and more!!! :banghead:

the Craftsman 3/8 clicker goes between 25in/lbs and 250in/lbs, which will work for my application. I just dont know if it will fit. Also not sure if I can get an 8mm socket of the 3/8 variety.

This is a pain!

I bought a snapon torque wrench like this one EBAY LINK It works good and there is plenty and clearance. I ended up buying mine for $85 and it was brand new :banghead:

First, you definitely can get an 8mm socket for 3/8 drive. If it's too hard to find, get a 5/16" instead. (.003" difference) But the rear center cam cap bolt will be tough to get at. An alternative is to use an offset adapter, either expressly for the size, or one with a square drive on the end. It would look like a very short box end wrench with a 3/8" square socket at one end.

Here's one

I say keep looking for a beam type, but there are options.

My 3/8" AutoZone Greatneck special would probably have worked if I would have had 3/8" metric sockets. Instead, I had 1/4" sockets which meant I had to use a 3/8 to 1/4" adapter then the socket. That combo made it to high and would not fit in the clearance I had to work with. Soooo, I bought a 1/4" Snap-On Torque wrench that I paid over $100 for instead of buying the one 3/8" metric socket that would have cost me all of $3.00.

If I had to justify everything I bought, I would not have 3/4 the crap I own.

My Craftsman 3/8 drive would not fit. I have a 20 year old Craftsman 1/4 drive that did the trick, but they are no longer available from Sears, and mine finally broke. Harbor Freight sells one, but they are cheap. I use a spring scale to verify towque setting every time I use it...