Backfire Screen

I just bought a 1995 XR 600 that has a UNI filter,Supertrapp, and the airbox snorkle removed. It has also had the backfire screen removed. I've read that this should stay in place. Any suggestions or ideas on what I should do from here?

Backfire screens are not needed in most cases. Keep your bike tuned up are it will not be an issue.

Backfire screens are not needed in most cases.

unless you get stopped by a forest ranger and he checks for it :banghead:

unless you get stopped by a forest ranger and he checks for it :banghead:

Do they do that? I have had them check the spark arestor, to the point of removing the screen in the muffer and looking for any holes...but never heard a word about the back fire screen.

Do they do that? I have had them check the spark arestor, to the point of removing the screen in the muffer and looking for any holes...but never heard a word about the back fire screen.

hangovers don't make for very good reading comprehension on my part :banghead:

mybad :banghead:

I'd leave something in the for the structure of the air filter. I can picture that thing getting sucked in during wide open throttle. It's got no bracing, especially in an XR600 design.

The UNI filter that is on it seems to have an internal wire frame that holds the filter if shape. I would think that would hold it from being sucked in.????

If the uni has a frame in it then fine. I wouldn't ever just run a filter with no support in that setup.

It is not going to affact performance and will keep your bike from burning up, it has ahppened and personally i would get one and use it, but i'm poor and cant afford to burn my bike, i also kinda like it:D

theoretiacally the BF screen help with air flow as it evens flow through the filter and increases velocity an important aspect of carburation.

Thats my 2 cents.

Mike