Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kizzle426

Cornering?

8 posts in this topic

I'm a little dumbfounded right now. I met my buddy out at the track today and we did laps on each others bike. He had a 2004 CR250 vs. my 02 YZ426. First off he had really REALLY stiff suspension. His is set up to do freestyle. I'm not sure if that affects cornering and going around berms or not, but the thing cornered like a truck. I had to lean WAY further down to get traction in the berms and stick my leg way out too. then there was the powerband. I haven't ridden a 250 2-stroke in a while, but that just sucked. It was shaky and my hands went numb after like 4 laps. Anyway.....question is.......has anybody else noticed their "vastly heavier" bike turns better than lighter bikes? Or is this just me? Let me know your opinions.

I think that usually lighter bikes turn better because they are more "flickable" but I think any bike can turn good with properly setup suspension and proper riding technique. The reason why you had to be way forward on the CR250 was becuase the forks wouldn't dive and stay there when you set up for the turn. And I have ridden a 1993 KTM 300 that had tons of power but it wouldn't turn worth crap because it wasn't setup for me. But then my YZ250F can turn great on anything because it is setup for me. So yeah... I think any bike can turn good when setup for you.

Honestly, I attribute the better cornering to two main things.

1) the suspension is stiff and that doesnt allow the bike to "settle" in to the corner, if your bike is setup corectly film yourself in a corner (or a pro) and watch it in slo-mo. I was amazed to see my forks were way into the travel until the apex when i hit the throttle, the rear end will stay compressed until you get back upright and shift your weight around. This is physics at work. If the suspension doesnt compress the weight and Center of gravity are too high and the front end skates and slides, and we all know the back follows the front.

the second reason is simply ergonomics, you probably aren't used to his bike. I recently rode my buddies 98 CR250 while he rode my 400 and his bike corners like shit because he doenst know a thing about setup and I cant get him to put in lighter oil. Ironically, he loved my bike with PC pro revalving and was carving rails around me. It wont help that 4strokes and 2smokes corner differntly due to the throttle response and such.

The weight issue has too many vaiables to really address, fork rake, wheelbase, seat height, bar height and width, amount of gas in the tank, and overall center of gravity all play in to how the bike carries its heft.

I'd be interested to know what your friend thought of your bike.

Suspension setup can affect cornering a great deal. But that said, people forget that the 426 in general was pretty good in corners. I ride an 01' and have no problems turning inside my buddies on newer 2-strokes. :banghead:

Honestly, I attribute the better cornering to two main things.

1) the suspension is stiff and that doesnt allow the bike to "settle" in to the corner, if your bike is setup corectly film yourself in a corner (or a pro) and watch it in slo-mo. I was amazed to see my forks were way into the travel until the apex when i hit the throttle, the rear end will stay compressed until you get back upright and shift your weight around. This is physics at work. If the suspension doesnt compress the weight and Center of gravity are too high and the front end skates and slides, and we all know the back follows the front.

the second reason is simply ergonomics, you probably aren't used to his bike. I recently rode my buddies 98 CR250 while he rode my 400 and his bike corners like shit because he doenst know a thing about setup and I cant get him to put in lighter oil. Ironically, he loved my bike with PC pro revalving and was carving rails around me. It wont help that 4strokes and 2smokes corner differntly due to the throttle response and such.

The weight issue has too many vaiables to really address, fork rake, wheelbase, seat height, bar height and width, amount of gas in the tank, and overall center of gravity all play in to how the bike carries its heft.

I'd be interested to know what your friend thought of your bike.

He loved it. He told me when he got enough money saved up he was going to get a 426 or 450 just because of how smooth the throttle was and how much available torque there was. He even overjumped it a few times cuz he was to heavy on the right hand.

What? Why would I be pissed because somebody was better than me? The dude IS faster than me. I just didn't care much for how the bike handled and I hate 2-stroke powerbands. I've owned and ridden quite a few of them. I just never had a chance to ride mine then somebody elses at the same time to get a comparison.So I guess When you like your bike better than somebody elses you have to be pissed at them? :banghead:

Nice bike by the way Chazlom. Do they have a bore kit like that or did you have somebody do it for you? I've been wanting to see if someone could bore my 426 out.