01 yz426 vs. 02 yz426

This is my first post, but I've get a life or death question. I just sold an 02 wr250f and I'm looking for more ponies. I'm currently looking at an immaculate 01 yz426 (20 hours; babied; WC frame guards; Pro Moto Billet Insert; Renthals) and a very nice 02 yz426 (basically stock). Does anybody know what the differences are between these two years? I'm almost a 100% woods rider. I've got my heart sat on a Yamaha and this this is the one I want (and can afford).

- 02 WR250f Full Big Gun Exhaust, Pro Taper's, Acerbis Rally Pro's, Power Now! (Gone with the Wind)

- HIGH HOPES

I Think the only improvement betwen 01 and 02 was a ligther swingarm and a better exaust, I think that was it

There was no change in the exhaust.

The '01 and '02 are essentially the same bike and are the best of the YZ400/426's. Get the cleanest one (which sounds like the '01).

There were several threads in the last two years which detailed the differences but they are minor.

I think they made the wheel hubs bigger or wider and when did they go to Ti valves?

The differences in these two years is very minor. I believe there was a small tweak to the suspension, front or rear brake disk is 10mm larger/smaller (don't remember which), and I don't remember the rest. As mentioned above, the differences are listed in a thread here somewhere. They are so close that I would get the one that looks the best maintained, especially if you're going to be in the woods. Both are excellent solid years.

I have an '01 426 and can't say enough good about it. I know there are newer bikes out there that are lighter and with better suspension, but damn this is a great bike. I have been seriously considering an '06 450, but everytime I really think about it, I realize that I have a perfectly good bike that still amazes me everytime I ride it. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a solid used performer.

The differences in these two years is very minor. I believe there was a small tweak to the suspension, front or rear brake disk is 10mm larger/smaller (don't remember which), and I don't remember the rest. As mentioned above, the differences are listed in a thread here somewhere. They are so close that I would get the one that looks the best maintained, especially if you're going to be in the woods. Both are excellent solid years.
sirthumpalot,

Hows the forks? You said you would give us a review after your race last weekend. Testify!

02 got a +10mm rotor, new upper triple that moves the bars forward/up, new hubs, and new stickers. Ti valves came in 01, along with a better carb and clutch. Too bad you aren't closer to Idaho, I may make you a screaming deal on a low time excellent condition 00 426 :banghead:

426's are good bikes man super strong and plenty of power for any situation. i have a 01 now and the only complaint i have is that it eats sprockets other than that there great

hard to belive an 01 with 20 hours.

I used my '00 426 for tight WI woods and had to gear down considerably, the ratios are very close so you won't get much for top speed like your WR, otherwise great bikes.

Guys this thread is 5 years old! :smirk:

boy how time flys

2001 to 2002 changes:

426page1.jpg

426page2.jpg

426page3.jpg

426page4.jpg

426page5.jpg

426page6.jpg