Where to look for signs of wear on a 02' yz426f

Okay, I think I found the bike I want to get but, I was hoping to get some advise from people who already have an 2002 YZ426F.

I'm going to check out the 02' sometime this weekend and while I've bought quads in the past I've never actually bought a used bike from a private seller. Can anyone suggest things to look for that might be indicators of hard riding, abuse or wear. (the seller has told me the bike has only about 25 rides on it and yet he is putting new plastics on the bike before he sells it). :banghead:

Any help would be appreciated.

Look at the frame and see how much paint is worn off unless it has frame guards. Also look on the ignition and clutch covers. If there is a lot of wear it doesn't necissarily mean the bike is messed up, just that it's been ridden quite a bit. Also....when it's on the stand, grab the back wheel and lift it up pushing down on the seat, and shake the swing arm. If it is loose, shaking side to side, that means the swingarm bearings are worn out. If it's an '02 they shouldn't be that worn out. If they are, I'd go the opposite direction. That's one of the best detectors of a worn out bike that I've found. Look at the teeth on the sprocket and fly wheel. When you start it let it warm up all the way then ride it around and listen for knocks. Those happen close to idle speed. If you hear gear noise that's normal, they have loud trannys. Also, listen for loud popping on decelleration. It means the bike is running very lean. That's not a big deal unless it's been doing that for the majority of the time he's owned it. Then it could have a lot of engine wear. That's all for now, but that's a great start. Good luck, and enjoy the bike. THEY RIP!!! :banghead:

I had frame and clutch cover wear on my bike after about 5 rides. That's not a real good indicator on the YZF's. Just take a look at the overall condition of everything on the bike. You can tell right away if a bike was severely beat up.

I would ask the owner about the frequency of oil and filter changes and have him point out the locations of the oil drain bolts. Also pull the dipstick after it has run for at least 2 minutes and check the visual quality of the oil. Pull the seat off and make sure there is a nice clean air filter on.

In general these are awesome, bulletproof bikes. As long as it was reasonably cared for, it will last a long time.

i just meant to see if it was rusting yet or not

Look at the frame and see how much paint is worn off unless it has frame guards. Also look on the ignition and clutch covers. If there is a lot of wear it doesn't necissarily mean the bike is messed up, just that it's been ridden quite a bit. Also....when it's on the stand, grab the back wheel and lift it up pushing down on the seat, and shake the swing arm. If it is loose, shaking side to side, that means the swingarm bearings are worn out. If it's an '02 they shouldn't be that worn out. If they are, I'd go the opposite direction. That's one of the best detectors of a worn out bike that I've found. Look at the teeth on the sprocket and fly wheel. When you start it let it warm up all the way then ride it around and listen for knocks. Those happen close to idle speed. If you hear gear noise that's normal, they have loud trannys. Also, listen for loud popping on decelleration. It means the bike is running very lean. That's not a big deal unless it's been doing that for the majority of the time he's owned it. Then it could have a lot of engine wear. That's all for now, but that's a great start. Good luck, and enjoy the bike. THEY RIP!!! :banghead:

Popping on decel can be a lean condition, but if the muffler packing is blown it can sound like a lean condition also a little bit.

My 01' 426 has started popping on deceleration. What's the best adjustment to cure this but at the same time not affect performance too much? I seem to have better throttle response when I run the bike lean but if this can create engine damage over the long term, I definitely don't want to do that.

Thx.

Can anyone suggest things to look for that might be indicators of hard riding, abuse or wear. (the seller has told me the bike has only about 25 rides on it and yet he is putting new plastics on the bike before he sells it). :banghead:

Any help would be appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about the new plastic. The YZ blue plastics crease and look like crap after the first time you drop it.

My favorite tell tale is the kickstarter. Sure, it can be replaced, but this is rare. Look at the pad where it contacts the footpeg, if it has a big gash in it the "only 25 rides claim" may be a bit suspect.

The previous tip about the swingarm bearings sounds like a good one, I've never tried that, but keep in mind there will be some up/down slack in the linkage even on a new bike.

Hope this helps.