Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miguelitro

headlight bulb choices

12 posts in this topic

Headlight finally went, what are my options, can i pick one up from kragen?

also would this make my kill switch stop working? they went out at the same time...

allmost a thousand poost and still asking newbie questions :banghead:

My brother replaced his bulb with one from the local Kragen's. The downside is your headlight will still have the plastic lens.

I can't think of any reason the headlight would be directly related to the kill switch.

Your bike has an H3 bulb. Just get a 35 watter H3 from any auto parts store.

You can also upgrade with a glass lens--used on the older XR's--and put in a 55watt bulb--or a 100watt bulb if you have a re-wound stator.

If your light and kill switch both went out i would check the connections on the wires. Also look for worn wires with exposed metal.

The headlamp and kill switch share the same ground plug in behind the headlamp.

The headlamp and kill switch share the same ground plug in behind the headlamp.

yep and i'm thinking i'll be looking for a short somewhere in there that blew the bulb and caused the kill switch to die.

ahh good fun looing for shorts :banghead:

thanks for the help

Not to worry the 650R only has a couple wires, you just have a bad ground or loose connection, the kill switch just grounds the ignition circut. You can just run a ground wire with aligator clips to the frame and to the double female green ground plug behind the h/lamp to test. I soildered and heat shrinked all mine I don't like waiting for bad connections.

Yeah, it sounds like your ground was disconnected. Reground the wire before you buy a new bulb.

yep and i'm thinking i'll be looking for a short somewhere in there that blew the bulb and caused the kill switch to die.

ahh good fun looing for shorts :banghead:

thanks for the help

I'm betting that if you chased the short in the kill switch the headlight starts working again...

I bet it will too and as soon as FMF sends me my muffler strap I can test that out. Hate waiting for stuff like this

another good tip on wiring...

after soldering, cover joint with hot glue gun glue, and tape thoroughly afterwards, wont ever be compromised by water, dirt or wear. It makes a great lil cacoon for your wires. And seals them even better than shrink tubing. If your really anal, do both...Bulletproof!

Another option for a head light-light bulb is to buy a A-3603 bulb. This bulb is a 25 watt double filament bulb. All you need to do is run a bead of solder between the two post at the base of the bulb, then place it in the head light socket. No need to change out the head light it is the same style as the stocker and is now 50 watts. I have done this for awhile and it works very well with no problem and is brighter than the 35watt stock bulb. I think a 2 pk of bulbs cost me $3.95 It has yet to burn out. If one filament lets go you still have a 25 watt light to get you home.

Another option for a head light-light bulb is to buy a A-3603 bulb. This bulb is a 25 watt double filament bulb. All you need to do is run a bead of solder between the two post at the base of the bulb, then place it in the head light socket. No need to change out the head light it is the same style as the stocker and is now 50 watts. I have doine this for awhile and it works very well with no problem and is brighter than the 35watt stock bulb. I think a 2 pk of bulbs cost me $3.95 It has yet to burn out. If one filament lets go you still have a 25 watt light to get you home.

That sounds good, I had the prince of darkness visit me last week at midnight, not a big deal but I still wanted to ride and had to avoid the cops to get back home.