HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ridered50230

Replacing Throttle tube, What kinda grease?

15 posts in this topic

Alls i got is Multi purpose Lithium grease and I am replacing a throttle tube. Can I use this between the bar/tube or what?

hmm.. i didn't use anything between the bar and tube i dont think when i replaced mine, the tube doesn't really come in contact with the bar

I wouldn't recommend putting any kind of lube between the throttle tube and bars. It will only attract dirt and dust and most likely cause problems in the future.

well... i put it on and it rubbed so idk?

When I put mine back on. I had waterproof bicycle bearing grease, so I put some in between. The only down side is I see it collecting more grime in there. so check it often.

Yup, grease will turn to sludge before long. Best to leave it dry as the nylon- type plastic of the throttle tube is slippery anyway.

hmm.. i didn't use anything between the bar and tube i dont think when i replaced mine, the tube doesn't really come in contact with the bar

Ditto. Just use some WD40 and you'll be good to go.

I would never use any kind of lube unless you want to be taking it apart all the time to clean it. Graphite powder would work well I bet. I can't immagine wanting a more sensitive throttle though.

I went with an aluminum throttle tube after breaking three plastic throttle tubes, and didn't like the metal on metal drag, so I use a little graphite powder when I replace my grips or have to clean it out after a bath in the mud. Anything liquid will attract dirt. :banghead:

I use graphite powder. Works a treat.
Yeah, graphite is about the only thing you'd want to use between throttle tube and bar, if anything at all.

well when he cracked it he bent up and chipped a bit of his bars so it created the friction, ill sand down the "debris" and it should be clean.

thanks

i know some people who work for transworld and answer/protaper so i get to go in the factory semis alot if im hanging out with them...when i was in the yamaha semi he was working on the bike putting a new throttle on...he used a very bright red thin grease, looked like it was a jelly type..not quite sure, but he did use grease befor putting the throttle on...ive seen this done many times by top mechanics