HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
darksun27

reserve on a yz you guys should do this

27 posts in this topic

i always thought why cant you buy a reserve petcock to go on your yz? well you can. just order 1 for a 2003 ttr 125 (wich is around $17, thats cheaper than the wr) and swap the ends. apply some glue or yamaha bond to hold the end in and you will now have reserve on your yz. its 1 cheap mod that will save you when you run out of gas in the middle of the woods, if you do woods riding with your yz.

i always thought why cant you buy a reserve petcock to go on your yz? well you can. just order 1 for a 2003 ttr 125 (wich is around $17, thats cheaper than the wr) and swap the ends. apply some glue or yamaha bond to hold the end in and you will now have reserve on your yz. its 1 cheap mod that will save you when you run out of gas in the middle of the woods, if you do woods riding with your yz.

Excellent tip!!! Think I'll do it tomorrow if the dealers got one in stock. Thanks.

so it wont bold right up?....you have to glue it on?...bad idea from the beginning....if that bond breaks and releaces gas all over a hot head your gonna die/ have some damn 3rd degree burns.

so it wont bold right up?....you have to glue it on?...bad idea from the beginning....if that bond breaks and releaces gas all over a hot head your gonna die/ have some damn 3rd degree burns.

I thought he meant it would bolt up but the pickup would have to be glued or something. Yeah, gluing anything on a fuel tank is a bad thing. Maybe darksun27 could clarify a little for us. I'd love to have a reserve on mine when I switch to a Baja 3.2 Gal tank. Has anyone used a WR petcock? I'm not sure it even has reserve on it. Anyone?

a wr petcock will work on either a wr or a YZ i dont see how one can get more gas out of it tho,,,if there is no actual reserve area at all

I thought he meant it would bolt up but the pickup would have to be glued or something. Yeah, gluing anything on a fuel tank is a bad thing. Maybe darksun27 could clarify a little for us. I'd love to have a reserve on mine when I switch to a Baja 3.2 Gal tank. Has anyone used a WR petcock? I'm not sure it even has reserve on it. Anyone?

I run a WR426 fuel tap with reserve setting, with a YZ426 tank. It is a PITA to be quite honest. I seem to have to switch to reserve when i've still got 3 or more litres left in the tank. I'm sure the pick up could be modified though.

I wouldnt mind having a reserve on my YZ, it would just be piece of mind cause I use my bike mainly on the street and I always have to keep a close eye on my fuel level. I just never bothered to get one cause I hear all these horror stories where guys have takin off the petcock and once reinstalled having problems sealing it back up again. I like my tank without the leaks.

I dont see how this could possibly work.... The YZ gas tanks do not have a reserve resivour built into them, therefore adding a fuel petcock with a reserve setting would serve no purpose.. the YZ gas tank is designed to hold a certain amount of gas, wether you have the "reserve petcock" on there or not, you can still only get the same amount of gas out of the tank... the "reserve" setting in this case would only be an alternative for the "on" position on the stock petcock... it would do the same thing... but would cause you much trouble trying to install one... if im not mistaken, bikes that have "reserve" settings have nothing more than an overflow resivour that would salvage the fuel that was dumped from the gas tank into the reserve tank for later use... once you turn the "reserve" setting on, the gas from the reserve tank is then used... this mod is useless, pointless, and would cause nothing but problems to anyone who would try to do it... My YZ250F hold 1.8 galons, once its gone, its gone... adding a ttr125 petcock to it wouldnt magically give me more gas.... think about it...

I actually just took a look into this a little bit further.... it has nothing to do with a reserve tank... There are 2 fuel lines from the petcock of a ttr that come up through the bottom of a the gas tank, one of them is at the very bottom of the tank, and the other is a bit higher up... the higher fuel line is used for the normal flow of a full gas tank, when the fuel becomes at the same level as the higher tube, even though there is still gas in the bike, it wont use it because it cant be sucked down through the tube... when you switch to reserve, it uses the secondary fuel tube that is at the very bottom of the tank, allowing you to use all the remaining gas that while on the normal "on" position, you could not get to... The YZ fuel petcock has 1 tube, at the very bottom of the gas tank, allowing you to use all the fuel in the tank without needing to switch to reserve... I guess if your a trail rider and you want to know when your running out of gas, this would make sense... but regardless, you run out of fuel when you run out of fuel... simply stated... and i dont know about the rest of you but id rather do the guess work and use my gut feeling to know when im runnin out of gas, instead of butchering my YZ tank just to have a reserve... :: thumbsup ::

I'm glad that you looked into it a bit further :banghead: cause the first post of yours there had me a bit concerned! The only point of having the reserve for me is since my bike is converted to motord and is only on the street, I can run out of fuel real quick or long depending how its ridden.... its just to hard to do the guess work and I really dont want to end up pushing when Im 20 miles from a gas station.

Excellent pics!! Good mod. thanks for the help :banghead:

Have you figured out haw many miles you can go on your reserve yet?. On open, straight single track let's say, for example.

I put a WR petcock on my '03 YZ250F in November '02. The outlet is the same. I haven't run out of gas in almost three years, yet. Nice.

How far is this going to get you? An extra 10 ft?

As long as thats where the truck is parked, then it would be worth the mod. Seems I only run out of gas less than a mile from the truck anyway, so this should do the trick. Probably could extend the hose even a little more so you would still have a 1/4 tank or so on reserve.

I have a 2002 WR426F.

What you're doing here is effectively making a WR petcock.

Why don't you just buy one to start with???

like i said below. the wr petcock is more expensive. u can do this to save a few $$$. ohh and this mod willl work on almost any 4 stroke yz that has the same petcock. no im not shure how far it will get you. but it will probably get you back to the truck, or some sourse of gas in almost any situation

On my modded 02 WR426F that drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion.

i get around 55 miles to reserve, then about another 20 on reserve.

For reference, the bike has a skimmed and flowed head, is YZ timed, and has a full acrapovic Ti exhaust system - 53rwhp.

Also has an 8 litre tank, the same as the 400/426 YZ's.

If you look at the pics, you'll notice that the stock YZ petcock pickup isn't much higher than the reserve pickup on the TT-R petcock, which means that doing this mod isn't going to gain you very much at all. I'd be interested to see if the stock WR petcock has a lower pickup. From my experience, once I run out of fuel on my stock YZ tank (somewhere around 65 miles) I'm pretty beat and don't want to ride much farther anyways, so a reserve wouldn't do me any good.

Oh, and to the poster concerned about the YZ not having a reserve tank... the reserve setting on a bike just allows fuel to flow to the carb from a lower point in the tank than the "On" setting, there is no reserve tank.