Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Four Fiddie

to part out or sell? that is the question

15 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 yz450 and i blew the motor, Im not sure if I want to put the 1200 into it to fix it and then sell it for 3000 or just part it out, I have alot of good parts on the bike and was wondering if I could make around 1500 parting it out? everything on the bike is mint besides the motor of course.

Definitely eBay. You'll probably fetch more than $1500 too, if you really tear it down and clean the parts.

Hey thanks im probably going to go in that direction, like i said i haved alot of aftermarket parts on the bike, and i dont want to put all that money in fixing the motor when it could just toast again when im done. the bottom end is mint maybe i could sell that on ebay.

Good, idea, but you'll be without a bike.

You then go to the shop, buy the new 06, and instantly lose 2 grand as you leave the door.

If you like your 450, fix it. Its the only was to not lose money.

If you want a new bike, the loss is worth it to you. Heck, I have lost tons of money on new bikes.

I just bought a rmz450, ive always had yamahas (125,250,400,426,450) but after riding the rmz450 I dont think I will go back, its not nearly as heavy as the yamahas and it handles a whole lot better for me.

$1,500 ....well atleast $500 for the wheels and $500 for the forks $300 for the shock $100 for the plastic $100 for the brakes. It will be cake to get only $1,500 out of it

like i said i haved alot of aftermarket parts on the bike

How about a little advance listing of all those aftermarket parts you have for your pals on TT who have pointed you in the right direction. :banghead:

-tag bars and triple tree

-galfer rotors

-WC radiator braces and guards

-black pro wheel (rear only)

-4 twin air filters

-extra hifiltro oil filters

-fastway footpegs

-arc folding levers

-gyrt frame guards

-i have a new crank, piston and rings, cylinder, cam shafts

I will still considering fixing the bike when i come accross some extra cash, which wont be anytime soon because i just broke my leg in a race last week on the rmz after some kid ran into me in the second corner, but I think i might just part it outl to get some quick cash, its a hard choice because the bike is absolutley mint, new linkage, pro-action suspension, new clutch with 2 hours on it, all new cables, radiators arent banged up, this is a hard one guys

I forgot to mention all i need is either a new head or to see if a shop can repair mine, plus all new valves because 2 of them were bent and i wouldnt want to take a chance with the others, does anyone know around how much this would cost?

It sounds like your $400 from having all the parts to put the bike back together and not lose the $1500 difference between selling pieces on ebay or selling a whole bike that sounds like it's got pretty nice parts on it...

Do you think I can get the head repaired plus all 5 valves for around $400? I was going to call eric gorr and engine dynamics tommarow to see if they can do the work. It just seems like the vavles are pretty expensive

I called eric yesterday and HE said it would be around $500 to fix the head and install all new valves, Im also going to have him take my old crank rod and put it on the crank setup i had in the bike when it grenaded($50), he said it wouldnt be a good idea to use a crank thats been through that stress. Not sure what im going to do with the bike once its running, might end up keeping it for a practice bike and race the rmz.

Sell it for $3000 like you mentioned before, a lot better than parting it out for $1500 and that will generate the extra cash that you said you needed. Unless you are a serious pro you have no need for an extra bike especially one that will be different than your "A" bike. Just IMO hope the leg heals fast. :banghead: